Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GRRR...presents

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 8 Replies

With gifts for my soon-to-be 10 year old that is.

Last Christmas - had presents in the back of the van covered with a blanket.  "Somehow" the blanket slid off and he saw EVERY 'Santa' present (yes he's on the fence about Santa, but hasn't officially said he doesn't believe).

Last week DH sent me a text asking what day would be good for the drumset to arrive (free from a friend at work).  Except I was washing dishes, and kiddo grabbed the phone when it dinged and read the whole thing.

DH was googling for presents and left several tabs open to ideas he wanted to show me later.  This is on our family computer, he forgot about it - I didn't know about it - and kiddo got on the computer to play a game and saw it all.

I swear it's impossible to surprise this kid with his gifts anymore.  :(

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM

oh no! maybe just let him choose his own from now on?

the3Rs
by Group Admin on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Well, he pretty much does. Each kid writes up a list of what they want & we pick what WE want to buy from that list so they don't know exactly what they're actually going to get. We also add 1 or 2 different things we think they'll like that's not on the list.

Quoting leahbeah143:

oh no! maybe just let him choose his own from now on?

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM
I can see that being frustrating. Hopefully he doesn't find out about everything.
rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Ha! Gotta be incognito ;)
mickstinator
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Uh oh! Santa's elves can be a little sloppy sometimes. I have no idea how to combat a sneaky kid. Mine are young enough to not question me yet when I tell them to not look for the gifts. Or read. That helps. Lol!
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM
That totally stinks!
flutter523
by Tracy on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM
That's no fun! I hope you can surprise him this year
rebeccab1966
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM

My kids are 11 and 14, and I just don't even try to surprise them anymore.  I ask them to look for things on Amazon.com and put it on the Amazon Wish List, so much easier.  I do try to get one or two things on my own as a surprise, but it's hard to find things!  My son is a fisherman and hunter, and I heard him mention how he'd love to try fly fishing one day, so I found a place that offers fly fishing lessons in the Spring, so I bought him a couple lessons.  Not a CLUE what to surprise my 11 year old DD with, AND her birthday is next week!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)