Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Thanks, ACA

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:25 PM
  • 17 Replies

Yep, those who like their insurance can keep it.  Until it's part of your spouse's benefits package and they no longer cover spouses.  Since I have (*very inferior, crappy) insurance available at work, I am not eligible for his insurance, which I love(!) and I am ineligible for a credit through exchanges to get better insurance.  Oh, and I lose my really good dental coverage, too. Thanks, ACA.  Your "affordable" coverage has crapped on me.

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:35 PM

That sucks. :(

leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM

my insurance more than doubled this year :-(

Marz31
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Does it just excluse spouses when they have an option thru their job? I have heard of that (sucks majorly because a) it's often that one insurance is better than the other or b) it's just easier to keep it all together!) but I haven't heard of companies excluding spouses just because. obviously I haven't heard everything. Sorry it stinks. I just looked at what my options would be if I didn't have good insurance thru my office and the prices weren't as awful as people originally reported. but they're still more than I pay thru my company (DH uses his own company's insurance).

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Yes.  Since I have an available (craptastic) option at my job, I can no longer be covered.  At least Steph will have decent insurance.  As for the exchanges, if you have insurance available at your job, you get no subsidy, not that we would qualify for much anyway, but still, their insurance is WAY too much!

Quoting Marz31:

Does it just excluse spouses when they have an option thru their job? I have heard of that (sucks majorly because a) it's often that one insurance is better than the other or b) it's just easier to keep it all together!) but I haven't heard of companies excluding spouses just because. obviously I haven't heard everything. Sorry it stinks. I just looked at what my options would be if I didn't have good insurance thru my office and the prices weren't as awful as people originally reported. but they're still more than I pay thru my company (DH uses his own company's insurance).

kellysp6637
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I'm sorry......this is going to be the trend. 

christaberk
by Christa on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Yeah. It's happening to everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM
sorry!!!!!
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I have no employer insurance, two pt jobs because almost no one is hiring ft here, and MO opted not to increase Medicaid income limits, so I do not qualify for subsidies.  Best option is a catastrophic plan for about $165, which will cover pretty much my yearly obgyn and nothing else before I meet a $5000+ deductible.  One visit to my obgyn now, out of pocket, is $160.  Yahoo.  I would be all for affordable insurance, even through exchanges, but this is not even close to affordable.  Right now I can only hope to qualify for an exclusion (supposedly according to the last newsletter I got from one of my employers some people will be able to apply for exclusion from the ACA if they meet federal income limits for subsidies but not state limits) or to get an amazing job that provides benefits and a living wage once my degree is finished :/

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:51 PM
That stinks. We got our information today and its going up $20 a month but thats it
rissarin
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM
:(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN