Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

What would you do?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 4 Replies

Poll

Question: A or B

Options:

Job A

Job B

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

Put yourself into a situation where you need a new job.

So, you get your first callback from a potential employer that starts you the very next day after the interview. I refer to this as job A, as it is the first to call you. This job is 20-30 hours per week, pays minimum wage at $7.25/hr. It's only for 30-45 days, or two FULL pay periods depending on when you start working there. You take then job because you need the money, it's less than a mile from home and it's better than not havin an income at all because you don't know if you are going to get another job. It's a small town, so the job market is worse. It's easy, it's retail sales. The time or work varies day to day, and getting someone to watch children can be a bit of a hassle on some days.

On your first day off from this new job, the job you have been trying to get FINALLY calls wanting you to come in for orientation. Waited almost a month for the background check to come in. This is job B. It is guaranteed 40 hours per week, pays 10.50/hr and pays weekly. It is a temp to hire job. This job will hire you permanently after 6 months and the pay goes up 25 cents when hired permanently. This job is more physical, it's a production line assembling car parts. This job is 35 minutes from home. The hours are 3rd shift only at this time. 3rd shift works out perfectly since someone will be at home with children at all times.

Keep in mind, both jobs are hard on the feet and back, especially since you have back problems and you are used to having office jobs.

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
CrystalYaris
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Sorry so long, but I wanted to add as many details I could think of.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I would take job b and continue searching for something less physically demanding.
Marz31
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Yup, I'd take job B, since it's 3rd shift, you can easily keep looking for something more ideal while making full-time wages that are more than minimum wage. And if you find it's too much, you've still made more there than at the part time job that's closer to home. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM
What/How is transportation to job B? So you'd be commuting an hour + everyday with Job B?

How much do you need the money? What ages are children? Are you going to be watching your children and sleeping with Job B? Or are they school age?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN