Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Be Proud: How do You Reward

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

Be Proud.

How do you reward your children when they get good grades,  or an award?

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't do anything specific to reward them for report cards.  Our 1st quarter just ended.  My older two boys have straight A's and my youngest doesn't get letter grades, but has all S's (satisfactory) or O's (outstanding).

We're very proud and they know it, but I'm not a fan of paying for good grades.  To me, it sends the wrong message.

mickstinator
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Last week was our very first report card in the house. I made a big deal to the family because my son did very well, but we didn't give him anything for it.
Mireya926
by Mire on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I believe in verbal recognition, our son here how proud we are of his accomplishment, He also get S's and O's. When Holidays and B-Day's come he is told that he gets gifts and B-Day Party  because of how good he is throughout the year

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I reward $1 per A, and double it for all As.

They also get to pick a special dinner & game/movie to celebrate Honor Roll.

Roo1234
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM
we praise and celebrate their achievements, but we don't give specific rewards
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Verbal praise and a new book
jakesgal88
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I was just thinking of this. My oldest is in 5th grade and he got all A's. He also got some testing back and scored higher than 97% in math and 74% in reading. Super super proud. I was thinking maybe a special dinner with mom and dad. We have five kids so the only alone time they get with us is on their bday. I don't think it is bad to recognize achievement. When we exceed goals at work we often get a meal to recognize our accomplishments. School is getting harder and harder... our report cards now say that a 95% is an A-... really?! Ugh. Congrats to all the kiddos out there that are going above and beyond and hanging in there.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I will let you know if she ever gets her grades back up :-(

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM

This. We have mixed grades in our house, depending on which kid we're talking about. The ones with bad grades get fewer privileges and more table/desk time than the ones with good grades. We really pile on the praise and make sure the kids know we're proud of them for getting good grades. And not just with report cards either - we do it with weekly 2nd grade spelling tests, a tough HS algebra assignment.....It's ongoing. But we don't pay them - with money, dinner at a fancy restaurant, clothes, or anything else.

Quoting the3Rs:

We don't do anything specific to reward them for report cards.  Our 1st quarter just ended.  My older two boys have straight A's and my youngest doesn't get letter grades, but has all S's (satisfactory) or O's (outstanding).

We're very proud and they know it, but I'm not a fan of paying for good grades.  To me, it sends the wrong message.

miss_AP
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

We don't reward good grades...good grades are a reward for their effort. 

We do little celebrations when they excel in their activities.....flowers for piano recitals, a mommy date when she tested into the next gymnastics level, that type of thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)