Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Servings at dinner.......

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

How much food do you cook for dinner? Could you always feed extra people? Matteo will often just invite his friends for dinner, so we have extra boys, but they are little. My DH and I squabble because he thinks I should always cook more food so we have ample left-overs and no guest has to feel "guilty" for taking the last serving. 

Do you cook extra? Or just enough for the family? 

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I only cook enough for the family and maybe 1 lunch. I would need to be notified if we were going to have people for dinner. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Oh, DS gives me a 5-10 minute heads up, haha! 

Quoting Bubbie0809:

I only cook enough for the family and maybe 1 lunch. I would need to be notified if we were going to have people for dinner. 

12crazykids
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

My DH does all the cooking.  He cooks enough for our dinner and then enough for us to eat leftovers for lunch the next day.

We rarely cook extra beyond that because we dont really need to.  My own kids are grown and gone from home and we have dinner guests over but usually as a planned activity. 

So it's just DH and I.  If you have little ones are friends that often drop over, I would definitely make extras.  You can always freeze the left overs that don't get eaten and use them later.

Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Oh wow, I don't even know what i would do -  maybe add noodles to whatever we are having (like tonight instead of chili - we would add noodles and have Cincinnati chili) 

Quoting Marti123:

Quoting Bubbie0809:

jurnee14
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM

growing up my mom always made extrra, but there were 7 in our family so she was usually cooking something that could stretch. When I first had my family I didnt know how to cook for 2 , so I always had lots extra, I would literallly give food away. Now we tend to just cook enough for ourselves and some leftovers for lunch the next day.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Wei tend to cook extra. One time dd had a friend over and at dinner as the serving dish went around the girl asked how many mozzarella sticks she could have. We said take what you would like and can eat, and she went on further that her parents always cooked only a certain number of everything for each person. We know about how much my family eats but we we do have extra so if we end up with extra people for dinner we are covered.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM
lol. that sounds typical. I often come home from work to find extra teens and tweens are staying for dinner( though by them they have already gone through fruit and other snacks.

Quoting Marti123:

Quoting Bubbie0809:

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I thought I always cooked enough. I didn't like impromptu dinner guests, but it was less about the food and more about me not liking to be surprised. Sometimes I plan just barely enough, but other meals I plan to cook enough for leftovers. just depends. On the weeks that the skids were supposed to be with their mother, I would plan just for DH and me (ds doesn't really eat much at all), but inevitably we would have one of the skids for supper. Once I figured that out, I started planning on them as well. SS#2 was here for every meal, regardless of day or time or custody schedule.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM

There are only 3 of us, so it's hard to not cook over.  I always think about how much food we waste.  But there is no way to portion some of the food into just enough servings for us.

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Usually only enough for our family!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)