Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Just need to say something

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 17 Replies

My boss came back from maternity leave a week ago. She comes in around 7:30 (ish), and leaves the baby with her mom. Her mom works night shift, so she has to head in to work around 2. When my boss had her first son, she was a single parent and would come in super early and leave to head home so her mom could go to work. This time she's arranged it (with her mom, not with work) so that her mom drops the baby off with her, then she "works" for another couple hours. She plans to do this for a year!

Yesterday, the baby SCREAMED his head off, she was on a call with corporate, and acted to her boss like this was a one time thing. Her boss hasn't been in to notice anything. I don't care, the baby screaming is a little frustrating, but it's really not fair to the other people that are paying for daycare. She isn't a single mom anymore, her and her husband both work. I know daycare is expensive, I've been there. But I feel like there is going to be a lot of angst in the next couple weeks while people figure out what's going on.

There is already enough angst at work, there doesn't need to be any added on top of that.

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Wow, yea, she can't just bring baby to work every day to what I am assuming is a FULL office, when no one else has that privilege.

Our society doesn't provide working mothers with great daycare options, so I guess this is her "challenging the system". But doesn't sound like it is going to work out real well for her.
flutter523
by Tracy on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Ya that's not a plan that would fly with me. If it were a one time thing or until another provider could be arranged than maybe but like you said, no one eels gets that option
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I could see bringing the baby in once in a while but everyday would get frustrating.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I agree with everyone else. That is NOT something I could work with. I'd be super-pissed if that baby was screaming while I was trying to work, especially if I was on the phone, and especially if it was not a 1-time thing. I'd complain to HR and/or her boss - but only when it legitimately got in the way of my work - like having a screamer in the background of your phone call. Wowza. Good luck with that!

smileykt
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Yeah, that's not cool...I could see if it were a once-in-a while/got in a pinch and had not other choice type thing, but not everyday.  She should talk to her boss about leaving early and working from home. 

My boss brings her annoying dogs to work and they bark and are disruptive (taking a crap in the office/stinks us out) and I have to deal with that on a daily basis.  Luckily my 2 other coworkers left and they brought their dogs in too so at one point we had 6 dogs running around.  So professional...

leahbeah143
by Leah on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I totally get once in a while. I've had to bring my daughter in a few time over the years she's been alive because something fell through or whatever.

Lol funny you should mention the dogs. We have two yorkies come in, but usually only once a week, and they very quiet. They also aren't loose in the office, they are usually contained in my area, or up in the front office.

Quoting smileykt:

Yeah, that's not cool...I could see if it were a once-in-a while/got in a pinch and had not other choice type thing, but not everyday.  She should talk to her boss about leaving early and working from home. 

My boss brings her annoying dogs to work and they bark and are disruptive (taking a crap in the office/stinks us out) and I have to deal with that on a daily basis.  Luckily my 2 other coworkers left and they brought their dogs in too so at one point we had 6 dogs running around.  So professional...

CrystalYaris
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I'm not even really sure how this should be handled. Oh my! I just can't imagine having to work in an office with children. I love kids, but work is not a place for them. I see work as my down time away from that, so I'd be annoyed. Is anyone else complaining?

leahbeah143
by Leah on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM

If they aren't yet, they will be I'm sure. I'm not sure if anybody else has caught on to the fact that work has turned into her personal daycare yet.

Quoting CrystalYaris:

I'm not even really sure how this should be handled. Oh my! I just can't imagine having to work in an office with children. I love kids, but work is not a place for them. I see work as my down time away from that, so I'd be annoyed. Is anyone else complaining?

CrystalYaris
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I can understand, being that it's a safe environment, that if you absolutely HAD to for extreme circumstances a couple times. Not every day. I think it's being a little selfish on her part. I do not know her, or her situations, but it seems selfish.

Quoting leahbeah143:

If they aren't yet, they will be I'm sure. I'm not sure if anybody else has caught on to the fact that work has turned into her personal daycare yet.

Quoting CrystalYaris:

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Especially being the boss, if she doesn't want everyone to do it, she shouldn't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN