Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm new, pregnant, and have 2+ edema in my feet.

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hey there!

My name is Jessica.  I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant with my first child.  I'm still working full-time as an oncology nurse and I love my job.  Other than heavy lifting and administering chemotherapy, I still fulfill all of the obligations of my job during my 12 hour shifts.  Tonight I came home, and to my horror, my feet were swollen up for the first time ever!  My toes look like little vienna sausages attached to a chicken breast.  And goodness, are they painful and squishy when I touch them.  If I was charting the swelling in my hospital's computer system, I would say 2+ edema to indicate how swollen they look and feel.  For the first time in my pregnancy, I'm starting to see how nice it would be to just have from now until I deliver completely free to plan and relax until my baby arrives.  Alas, my due date is January 14th, and I'm on the schedule until January 9th, including Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day.  Hospitals don't close for holidays.  ;)

My husband and I just closed on our new (and first!) house and will be starting to move into it tomorrow afternoon.  So with that being said, I'm going to head to bed to do my web browsing on my tablet, put my feet up, and hope they return to normal.  It's great to be here and around other work-friendly mamas, and I hope to make some new CM friends!

CafeMom Tickers

“He kissed my belly, “Just think. All the love that we have for each other, we put it in this safe place here.” He kissed my belly again.”  - My Side by Tara Brown

Mom hat packaged with a baby girl arriving January 14!

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Welcome!! Having to be on your feet all day while pregnant does have it's challenges. Congrats!
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:07 AM
OMG idk how you do it! I gave birth to twins at 32 weeks last month and couldnt last a full 4 hours at work. I couldnt even walk from the parking lot to the bldg without resting!!
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Welcome!!

How exciting only 9 more weeks!! I'm am sorry you are starting to swell. Try to get those legs above heart level on your days off!

I used to do floor nursing. I liked it! I floated to all the floors, but never was chemo certifies or anything. I did a lot of tele & CCU.

Keep is posted how you are doing? Are you taking a full 12 weeks off after baby comes?
christaberk
by Christa on Nov. 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Hi!! Glad you are here.

I'm sorry to hear about your swelling, but I promise it will be well worth it in the end. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jollilolli
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Congratulations on the expecting bundle of joy. Pregnancy can have its drawbacks but is so worth the final result! Keep taking care of yourself and if people offer to help you with anything take them up on it.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Welcome! Definitely put those feet up & relax!

I was a band teacher & I was out there marching in the street everyday with my students while being 7 months pregnant. It was so hard to keep up - especially the time I tripped in a pothole & fell. It was so adorable seeing these very concerned middle school boys & girls rushing to my rescue. :).

For the actual Memorial Day Parade I insisted on a golf cart which I drove alongside my kids because it was just too far to march - which came in handy as I ended up driving a girl who sprained her ankle. :)
flutter523
by Tracy on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Welcome! Try and take breaks at work and out your feet up if possible. Even if it's only a minute or two
iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I remember that swelling. Try to put your feet up as much as you can.  If you have a designated area to sit, I propped my feet on a copy paper box.  It took about 2 weeks after delivery for the swelling to go away. 

jmobashrn
by New Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Wow thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!!

I definitely am realizing that I need to cut back and give myself a break from trying to be super nurse at work.  I worry about being seen as lazy, but I believe I will start, for the first time in my job, taking my 15 minute and 30 minute breaks without fail to properly rest, pee, and put my feet up.  We have a family waiting room with couches, so I can prop my feet up fully in there as long as it's not full, and it usually is not.  I am still a "New" nurse (graduated in May 2012), so I'm still very much trying to prove myself to coworkers.  I think it's time to cut myself some slack and accept help and cut back on helping everyone else around me because I'm at the point in my pregnancy where it's just not worth it to exert myself extra.

My swelling has gone down since the weekend where I've had time to rest.  My husband has been a doll and has been insistent that I don't do anything unnecessary with our move, and keep off my feet.  I think he got scared when he saw my feet so puffy!!

CafeMom Tickers

“He kissed my belly, “Just think. All the love that we have for each other, we put it in this safe place here.” He kissed my belly again.”  - My Side by Tara Brown

Mom hat packaged with a baby girl arriving January 14!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)