Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

excuse without being rude

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
I need your opinions on this. I'm working Thanksgiving and will be going with my client to her families house on Thanksgiving. The thing is I don't want to eat their food. They don't have the best hygiene so I'd prefer not to eat there. How do I get out of eating without being offensive?
I was thinking about saying as a family tradition my family always fasts until dinner each night of Hanukkah. Or maybe bringing soup and explain I haven't been feeling well, which is true. Any suggestions?

Have you ever not eaten someone's food? Why not?
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Can you just say you have dinner with your family planned after work and you want to wait until then? if not, when do you start work. Can you claim your full from an earlier meal?
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM
I can't use that excuse. It's my live in job and I'm here Sunday through Friday since I'm on ot this week.

Quoting Nighttiger:

Can you just say you have dinner with your family planned after work and you want to wait until then? if not, when do you start work. Can you claim your full from an earlier meal?

mickstinator
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I'd go with one the fasting excuse as it's less breakable. If they respect you, then they shouldn't push too hard. 

RitaTequila531
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I'm sorry but in this case, I just wouldn't go and wouldn't have accepted the invite.  I mean, you're going to her families house on Thanksgiving, ofcourse she's going to expect you to eat.

I'm with you on other people's hygiene being the reason  I don't eat from them, yuck. I'd tell her before I get there that I have plans to eat with family later so I won't be eating anything?

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM
not sure what to tell you, but if it were me, I'd eat just a little bit to make it look like I was eating something.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Going isn't my choice, it's my clients. Since I'm the staff person with her I have to go where she goes. The holidays can be tricky because the staff has to go and many won't eat with clients families for this reason.
I had no problem last year because my old clients family was very clean.

Quoting RitaTequila531:

I'm sorry but in this case, I just wouldn't go and wouldn't have accepted the invite.  I mean, you're going to her families house on Thanksgiving, ofcourse she's going to expect you to eat.

I'm with you on other people's hygiene being the reason  I don't eat from them, yuck.

I'd tell her before I get there that I have plans to eat with family later so I won't be eating anything?

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I have been in similar situations. I say a prayer and chew away! I would simply eat as little as I could and be polite. And any real unsafe options, I just smile and say, "no thank you, I really don't care for that." 

But you could do the sick, eating soup thing I suppose. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I may have to do that even though I don't want to. It's my clients parents so I don't want to offend them.

Quoting Marti123:

I have been in similar situations. I say a prayer and chew away! I would simply eat as little as I could and be polite. And any real unsafe options, I just smile and say, "no thank you, I really don't care for that." 

But you could do the sick, eating soup thing I suppose. 

iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM

My mom is in a similar line of work as you.  I know it's not your job, but could you offer to help in the kitchen and make sure things are as clean as possible?

You'd just probably need to fix a little something and eat a bit. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 8:30 PM
We're going after the meal is prepared. We're going to eat and leave.

Quoting iansmommy9:

My mom is in a similar line of work as you.  I know it's not your job, but could you offer to help in the kitchen and make sure things are as clean as possible?

You'd just probably need to fix a little something and eat a bit. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)