Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Sometimes

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:10 AM
  • 8 Replies

I hate living out here.  We found another cat in our backyard, a young ginger tabby.  She is not fixed and neither is our male cat from what we can tell (he was another drop off out here and being one eyed we knew he wouldn't get adopted and we have not taken him to the vet yet, we are going to be having a lot done and I would rather pay at once).  I know if we keep her the girls will get attached.  We do need another cat to deal with the mice, but our cat doesn't seem very rhrilled about the intruder, he is pretty territorial, and I am sure she won't be very happy about the two dogs.  Our local shelter is not a no kill shelter, so if we drop her there we may be dropping her off only to be incinerated in a few months.  The no kill shelter in the area is forty five minutes away and in a different state.  Sometimes living out here sucks.  I am not a cat lover by any means, but the idea of leaving the cat at a kill shelter is one that gets me everytime-we have had to drop animals off several times in the past five years if we can't find anyone to take the animals we find.  Plus she has fleas.

Update: the person who wanted her got her.  We decided that we do need another cat that will not aggravate DH's allergies, so we went to the local shelter and filled out the paperwork to adopt this pretty kitty:

DH held her for a bit and didn't break out, she is a year and a half, and will be fixed before we pick her up.  They said she is good with children and other animals, and likes attention.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Poor kitty. Hope you find her a home.
RhiannonMare
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Too bad you couldn't ship the kitty to me. We have an absolutely awesome no kill shelter here. We adopted our lastest cat from there. I'm a crazy cat lady and adore cats. I've got one using my left arm as a pillow as I type this.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Quoting RhiannonMare:

Too bad you couldn't ship the kitty to me. We have an absolutely awesome no kill shelter here. We adopted our lastest cat from there. I'm a crazy cat lady and adore cats. I've got one using my left arm as a pillow as I type this.

Survivability at our local shelter has improved, it is just that they don't have the funding to be a no kill shelter.  The nearest one is a nearly forty five minute drive in one direction.  We may have someone to take her, she's got to go, DH had a bad reaction to her and when he took allergy medication this morning it was too close to one of his regular meds and made him really tired and "tingly".  This person has a number of indoor/outdoor cats, and while she is not ideal (I am not a fan of outdoor cats close to town because that is how you end up with way too many strays) she is a better option than the shelter, which has close to twenty cats right now up for adoption.  I wish her coat/breed was different- we have a russian blue that doesn't cause any problems for DH's allergies at all.

CafeMom Tickers
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:54 PM

That's tough. I wish the no kill shelter was closer to you. People really need to be responsible when they get pets.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Poor thing. :(
That's a tough situation.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM

On top of it all, the person never came to get her, and I think she has just gone into heat.  That would explain why she was out in our area- either she went into heat and ran away or she started going into heat and her owners got tired of the constant yowling and blood drips (feline menstrual pads anyone?) and dropped her out here.  Off to the pound she goes, based on our cat's behavior he may not be fixed (he is hard to get a look at and every person I have had look who knows what they are looking for comments that his hind region does not look like a fixed or unfixed cat lol-that may just be that he seems to be a cross of some sort) and I don't want to risk a litter of kittens.  We hadn't had him checked by a vet for fixing yet because he is inside all the time, he is not allowed outside due to having only one eye, so there was no risk of him sowing his seed anywhere :p

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:30 PM

They came and got her today.  The woman's daughter was happy the cat is pretty friendly and good with kids (YDD can be overwhelming to animals and this cat just sucked up the attention) since most of the cats out there are outside cats that don't do kids- she has a daughter a year older than ODD that likes animals but visiting Grandma's cats is no fun if the cats aren't friendly.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Bump for update

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)