Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling in for bad weather :-(

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 18 Replies

I'm in a part of the country where the weather has socked us in. The roads are down right terrible. We relocated recently, and I found a job where I work varying hours part time. A full time job there is coming available, and I want it, and they said they want me. I live 20 miles from the place, and the roads are so bad I'm afraid to drive that far. I was going to call off, but apparently everyone else made it in but me. I feel awful, I feel like this reflects badly on me and I hope it doesn't hurt my chances of getting the full time job. I guess I'm just full on anxiety. :-( I can't afford to fix my car if I wreck though, and I definitely can't afford to get hurt. I told my boss that I would give it a few hours and see if the road clears. I just don't know what to do. 

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deadlights86
by New Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Good luck I'm calling off tonight also. Dh called off this morning also.
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Is this weather something you have had to drive in before?  If not, I can see your concern.  I know if I had never driven in snow before, I would be terrified to try it when trying to get somewhere on time. 

Marz31
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I live in a very hilly area where when we get storms, there are people that can make it in because they don't have to take hills and then people who can't (me) because we live further into the hills and it's just NOT safe. We've had at least two bad accidents by employees trying to make it into work when the roads weren't good and that's 2 too many. no, I can't easily work from home on days like that, but I don't think the company would want a traffic death on their conscience either if I tried to make it in and didn't make it. I live 4.5 miles from work, only a handful of people live closer, most live a LOT further. For the most part, they understand, and when they don't, I just write it down as a vacation day and move on. but while I enjoy my job and am grateful for my company, but I will not risk my life for them. I'm not an essential service, so when things get nasty, I stay off the roads so the people who DO work essential jobs can get there with less worry of idiots on the road. 

awesomemommy2
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM

It will reflect poorly on you.   Especially if everyone else can make it in.   

Sorry,probably not what you want to hear but its reality.   

ReadWriteLuv
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I called at 9:30 and most of the patient appointments for the day had cancelled, my boss told me to stay home. I still feel really guilty though. I live the farthest away of everyone, but I still feel like I should be there. It took me 2 hours to get home going 15-20mph yesterday afternoon in the weather. It would be four hours round trip, with the roads worse today traveling the same rate of speed, to be sent home after a few hours low census. It isn't worth the risk, but I still feel guilty.
leahbeah143
by Leah on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM

It happens to me, too. It seems like everybody else can make it in except me, and then I feel bad all day. But, I have specifically saved up PTO for snow days this year, and my job is pretty understanding.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I'm sorry! Be honest,if you are you not used to driving in this tye of weather or do not have 4 wheel drive, some employers will take that into consideration. 

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM
If you do quality work, employers will look past it. Its one day. I have a front wheel drive coupe that is not the best in the snow so I take into consideration my schedule for that day and if I dont have to be there, I dont go. Just show your willing to make up the hours if you need to.
mamideethan
by New Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM

What employers take into consdieration is a pattern of tardiness and absenteism. A one time call off, not so much, specially if it's due to obvious bad wheather. Most employers would rather you stay home, than to put yourself at risk. And trust me putting your life at risk or damaging your vehicle is not worth going into work on a extreme wheather day. If you don't frequently call of and if you are always on time, I wouldn't worry about calling off this one time.

mamainluv
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: I called at 9:30 and most of the patient appointments for the day had cancelled, my boss told me to stay home. I still feel really guilty though. I live the farthest away of everyone, but I still feel like I should be there. It took me 2 hours to get home going 15-20mph yesterday afternoon in the weather. It would be four hours round trip, with the roads worse today traveling the same rate of speed, to be sent home after a few hours low census. It isn't worth the risk, but I still feel guilty.

Calling in shows that you are interested in your job and wanted to be there. I'm sure that will mean something to your employer. Don't worry about it :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)