Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't walk!

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM
  • 20 Replies

So for several months now, my right knee has sounded like it has ball bearings in it whenever I walk upstairs.  It doesn't hurt really, it just sounds very rattly - but only when going UPstairs - not when walking normally or going DOWNstairs.  So, I really didn't think much of it.

Well, this morning I was downstairs working, came upstairs to grab some breakfast and it felt fine going upstairs until the last step.

O. M. G.  PAIN!!!!  I can't put ANY weight on it without nearly crying.  Sitting down it feels OK if I don't move it, but if I move my knee at all it hurts - not as bad - but still hurts.  I've tried walking a few times with a limp, barely putting any pressure on it, and it's  no-go. 

Aah!!  Suggestions for how to ease this pain so I can walk?!

(can't go to the doctor until Jan. 1st.  That's when my insurance kicks in.  They did agree to pay 65% of my COBRA if I needed it, so I *could* sign up for it but I really don't want to spend my 35% if I don't have to).

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mena929
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM

do you have a brace you can wear?

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM

No :(

Quoting Mena929:

do you have a brace you can wear?

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Ice or heat, whichever works, and get either a cane or crutch to minimize pressure on it until you can see someone about it. 

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Thanks.  We do have an old crutch - but I have no idea where it is.  Probably above the garage...I'll get DH to get it down when he comes home. 

Going to try ice - if I can make it to the darn refrigerator.

Quoting deccaf:

Ice or heat, whichever works, and get either a cane or crutch to minimize pressure on it until you can see someone about it. 

dawncs
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you thought about using crutches until then? Some pharmacies have them over the counter. They are pretty much easy to adjust to your height.

Dawn
Innovative Cookbook Writer and Internet Resource Research Writer
Check out my books at: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/dawnlucan

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Pressure may help, too.  If you don't have a wrap, cut an old t-shirt or bedsheet, anything you can make into strips to wrap. 

Quoting the3Rs:

Thanks.  We do have an old crutch - but I have no idea where it is.  Probably above the garage...I'll get DH to get it down when he comes home. 

Quoting deccaf:

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Great idea! I do think pressure will help whatever is rattling around in there. Thanks!

Quoting deccaf:

Pressure may help, too.  If you don't have a wrap, cut an old t-shirt or bedsheet, anything you can make into strips to wrap. 

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting deccaf:

mickstinator
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

yikes! i believe they say rotation of ice and heat is ideal to keep swelling down. do you have anything you can wrap it in?

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Ouch! Hope you can get some relief soon. I agree with Decca about using ice or heat on it.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM
They have icy hot knee wraps that I recommend trying
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)