Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Do you give your kids' teachers a gift?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 13 Replies

The rules in our handbook say we are not permitted to give holiday gifts to our teachers but rarely do parents read/obey that rule.

I typically do a $5 dunkin donuts gift card in a card signed by the kids.

Do you give gifts to your kids' teachers?

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marz31
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Well, I bought 3 gift cards a while back, when DD's class had three regular teachers, but I think they're down to one from when I bought those. so I'll probably give that teacher one and then not sure about the other two. I really wish they'd just take up a cash collection and spread it evenly between all the teachers. Oh and she's in a different room that I never see those teachers, ugh! daycare, preschool, shifting rooms....maybe I'll just buy a couple boxes of chocolates and take them to the classrooms she's in and let them share. 

awesomemommy2
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Yes we do.   Usually a gift card and a small holiday decoration for the main teacher and the small decoration for the co teachers, speech, etc.  Plus the bus driver.   

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Yes, we do. This year, she is getting a bottle of homemade vanilla with beans that we got when we were in Tahiti this spring.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I send an edible arrangement

mamainluv
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Quoting deccaf:

Oh that's a great idea. I'm not sure if we have one local but I'll have to check into it.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Try Fruit Baskets.com, too.

Quoting mamainluv:

Quoting deccaf:

Oh that's a great idea. I'm not sure if we have one local but I'll have to check into it.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Yes. I'm on both sides (teacher and parent) and I cannot tell you how nice it is to get a little gift for christmas from a kiddo. It's very rare that parents here give teachers gifts and that's so bizarre to me. Teachers deserve a small gift at least once a year, in my opinion. And that's not coming from my teacher side, that's coming from my mommy side. Haha
rissarin
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM
This year I got them a cute ornament. Last year I got them mugs and cocoa.
Mommy2Boys0900
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM
I never have in the past, but I will this year for my older son's teacher. She stepped in for me to be my son' s sponsor for his Confirmation because I couldn't since I'm not Catholic and she has been wonderful. She even got him a little gift for his birthday recently. So to show my appreciation, I want to get her something. Not sure what though
beachmom2one
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Even in elementary school, my son had different teachers for each subject so it was great that the room mothers usually took a collection and distributed the money with a card to each teacher based for the most part on how much time the kids spent with each teacher.  So the gym teachers that had a lot of classes got a small amount from just about each class and the homeroom teacher that only had two classes got a lot more of the amount collected.  It worked out much better than if we had to get presents for each teacher.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)