Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you travel for work?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 14 Replies

If so, what was the number that got you in the door to do it to make it worth it?

I have been interviewing for a position that is 80% travel and today I found out it is mostly same day travel, but I am a little afraid it is going to interfere with our routine, however, it is more money than I currently make and in the field I desire, though I am still wondering if it is enough money to quit my current job over.  Just looking for any insight anyone can provide on the subject.  Thanks ladies!

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I don't travel that much. I used to travel maybe 6 times a year. Now, maybe twice a year. There is no amount of money that would convince me to take a job with 80% travel - but that's just me.
Luisa621
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Thanks for  your input!

Quoting the3Rs: I don't travel that much. I used to travel maybe 6 times a year. Now, maybe twice a year. There is no amount of money that would convince me to take a job with 80% travel - but that's just me.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM
How far would you be traveling?
Luisa621
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM

No more than two hours, total four hours per day maximum. There will be a few overnights a years, which is fine with me as long as its not on Christmas, or my son's birthday.

Quoting cjsmom1: How far would you be traveling?

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM
I don't think I'd take it. That's 12 hours with commuting and working.

Quoting Luisa621:

No more than two hours, total four hours per day maximum. There will be a few overnights a years, which is fine with me as long as its not on Christmas, or my son's birthday.

Quoting cjsmom1: How far would you be traveling?

MandiVG
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I think it depends on the situation. I drive about that much for my job, but it is included in my work day and I am reimbursed for it. 

jamberrypie
by Betty on Dec. 10, 2013 at 12:34 AM

A heavy travel schedule doesn't allow for much flexibility with a family schedule, taking kids to school, picking them up from school/daycare, dropping them off at extracurricular activites, volunteering in the kids' schools, etc.   For me, it would not be worth it, even though it was a high-paying job.  Also, would you have backup help in the event that one of your kids' gets sick on a travel day?      

Luisa621
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I really don't we live away from all family. We only have ourselves, my husband, child and I. This is really tough for me, I could really use the money and change of pace.

Quoting jamberrypie:

A heavy travel schedule doesn't allow for much flexibility with a family schedule, taking kids to school, picking them up from school/daycare, dropping them off at extracurricular activites, volunteering in the kids' schools, etc.   For me, it would not be worth it, even though it was a high-paying job.  Also, would you have backup help in the event that one of your kids' gets sick on a travel day?      

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know. I think I'd have to determine how far away you'd be going and how exactly that would impact the daily routine at your home. If your husband is able to help out with the house and your kiddo if you're getting home late, and it's only occasionally, then it might be something to consider. But if it's going to throw everything off-kilter, maybe it's not worth it.

I honestly don't think we're going to be much help to you. This is a pretty personal decision. What does your DH think?

mepuck237
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I travel all through my state for work. Its a write off on taxes though so its not all that bad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)