Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I did NOT handle that well at all

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 11 Replies

So, as you may remember, my oldest son and I play in the community band.  Last night was our concert.  Last week when asked about the dress code, the director said since it was Christmas we should be festive, wear 'ugly' sweaters, flashing lights, reindeer antlers, whatever we wanted.

So...I came in a red sweatshirt (as that's all I had that was Christmas colors) and DS came in a green shirt.  We both wore blue jeans.

Lo and behold EVERYONE ELSE was dressed up like it was Christmas morning at church.  FANCY.  A few people did wear reindeer or santa hats, and one wore this awful (I think was meant to be awful) all green suit, but most of the people dressed up.

And the director?  He was in a freaking TUXEDO.

Can we say MORTIFIED?  I apparently completely misunderstood what we were supposed to do.  I sit on the end where EVERYONE in the audience can see me (my son is 2nd row middle so less obvious).  I made the girl next to me switch with me so I wouldn't be on the end.

I was soooo embarrassed that I refused to even walk around at intermission - I was literally hiding in the back of the room.

And my son?  My son apparently does as I SAY and not as I DO.  He threw all of my old words over the years back at me - it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks...be proud and act like nothing is wrong and no one else will think so either...and my latest gem that I texted him when he was having a crappy day at school...remember that this moment is only one tiny pixel of the bigger picture of your life (got that from here at CM).

So, he took it all in stride, comforted me, and I acted like an idiot.  So...embarrassed and proud at the same time I guess.

by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Be more proud than embarrassed!  That is young fine young man you are raising!

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Yeah, I don't think I would have taken that dress code description as "wear your Christmas Sunday best" so I probably would have shown up like you did.

Super proud of your son, that's awesome! :)

rissarin
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Definitely!! (Although I would be a bit embarrassed also ;))

Quoting deccaf:

Be more proud than embarrassed!  That is young fine young man you are raising!

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Be very proud. That moment was a blip in time but your sons attitude will carry him far!
awesomemommy2
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM
You should be proud of your son. To wear jeans and sweatshirts when you are a performer on a stage, your embarrassment is a
justified emotion.

Live and learn!
leahbeah143
by Leah on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM

First, I would have been irritated that they were not clear about the dress requirements! Second, your son sounds very smart :-)

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Yeah I know.  I mean I've performed all of my life, and most of the time as a teacher the kids dressed up...but sometimes we'd have a "theme" concert where you didn't have to...which is what I mistakenly thought he was attempting to do.

You're right though - live and learn - and in the future I'd rather be over-dressed than under-dressed :)

Quoting awesomemommy2: You should be proud of your son. To wear jeans and sweatshirts when you are a performer on a stage, your embarrassment is a
justified emotion.

Live and learn!

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM
You have done a great job raising your boys.
MariOfTheForest
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I'd be a bit miffed at the director!!!!!!  But proud of your son. 

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM
:). hug that kid !!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)