Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Advice Needed: I m a single parent struggling to make ends meet...

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:24 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm a single parent struggling to make ends meet, like most. The only way I'm making it is by living with my parents, who act as though they're divorced.  And we have been put in the middle.  My mom's about to walk out, who watches my son while I work.  When this will happen, I don't know... but she's leaving soon.  I won't be able to work otherwise, because I can't afford childcare and refuse to put my son in government funded day care.  What do I do?

by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM
why dont you have a grown up discussion with your parents with the intent of putting together a plan with timeline. in two months, 4 months 6 months. etc. and be frank. mom and dad thank you for housing me and kidlet and providing daycare. but I know it cant last forever and I know things arent going well with you and I know that you might part ways. I want to make a plan to be on my own in xxx timeframe. And you might have to look at govt. help for the short term.
christaberk
by Christa on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Very well stated.

Quoting calsmom62: why dont you have a grown up discussion with your parents with the intent of putting together a plan with timeline. in two months, 4 months 6 months. etc. and be frank. mom and dad thank you for housing me and kidlet and providing daycare. but I know it cant last forever and I know things arent going well with you and I know that you might part ways. I want to make a plan to be on my own in xxx timeframe. And you might have to look at govt. help for the short term.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tiffany_Avon
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Work at home?
ebj007
by New Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Hmm...  Okay, now I've thought of that...  however, one issue.  It's a bit difficult to have "grown up" conversations when two of three people are irrational.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I would suck it up and take the help I need, even if it is government daycare.  I understand it's difficult to talk to adults who are acting like children.  However, you need to see wher you and kiddo stand and what you are up against.  Unless you know what the plan is, you cannot prepare yourself.  Government help is not the worst thing ever.  I know my daycare will take any programs offered, and they are a well run place.  Very happy with them.

CrAzYmOmMy5411
by New Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM
You could try working from home... I just started doing this. I post links and make 5.00 for everytime someone visits my page. Its 100% free and there are no risks! I just made 60.00 this past half hour!!! Here's the link if you or anyone else is interested! http://www.referralduty.com/index.php?invite=69533
WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

You should be able to find an in home daycare that would allow you to use assistance from the government. Or check into your city/county for local childcare grants.

In my city we have both. The state provides a list of licensed childcare providers where it's a center or in home care that will take either/or/both of those options.

ebj007
by New Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, wildcat.  I will definitely take a look into that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)