Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Restoring my faith in people

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 9 Replies

Sometimes I get so discouraged by the selfishness of society that I really just don't like people at all. Then, there are conversations like this one:

Yesterday in our management meeting we were discussing an employee who lost his stepmother (the only "mom" he ever knew, the woman who raised him....not an EOWE states-away stepmom) over the weekend and had a baby born on Monday. He's really struggling financially and emotionally right now. Only took off 1 day of work during all of this.

We were discussing what we could do to help. One manager pipes up, "he can have the rest of my PTO for the year." And then another, "I've got 16 hours he can have." And then another, "He can have 8 of mine too." Before we knew it, we had decided to write off these volunteered PTO hours (essentially 8 hours from each manager) and write the employee a check for $1000.

I love that. I love it that the first person had the gumption to speak up, and I love that everyone followed suit. I love that I work for a small company that has the leeway to do things like that for employees. Warmed my heart.

Does your company ever do things like this when employees need it?

by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mickstinator
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM

That makes me tear up. That is beautiful. Faith in humanity restored!

My husband's coworkers pooled together some of their PTO for a coworker who was fighting bladder cancer last year. Then, someone got a company to print up shirts at no cost that say "We P on cancer!" and all the employees bought one and gave the proceeds to a fund for him. 

My company tries to be empathetic during hard times, but we're really small so our resources are just severely limited. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM

How nice!!!!

We have had an executive volunteer his PTO for an employee whose child was at St Jude.  It was a horrible time for her and she needed that time.  We also advanced her a few extra months of time off.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Nice.

It's so hard when your company is small enough that they don't offer long-term time off - like paid maternity leave and stuff like that.

Quoting deccaf:

How nice!!!!

We have had an executive volunteer his PTO for an employee whose child was at St Jude.  It was a horrible time for her and she needed that time.  We also advanced her a few extra months of time off.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

That was very nice. The t-shirt idea SOOO clever! :)

Quoting mickstinator:

My husband's coworkers pooled together some of their PTO for a coworker who was fighting bladder cancer last year. Then, someone got a company to print up shirts at no cost that say "We P on cancer!" and all the employees bought one and gave the proceeds to a fund for him. 

My company tries to be empathetic during hard times, but we're really small so our resources are just severely limited. 

mickstinator
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

It's a hilarious shirt. There is a yellow pool of *ehem* flowing down around the big P. I didn't know at all about the guy when I saw the shirt with my husband's stuff. It was pretty confusing. lol! 

I believe he's in remission now. : )

Quoting adamsmom0116:

That was very nice. The t-shirt idea SOOO clever! :)

Quoting mickstinator:

janitablue
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

That is great to work in such a environment with empathy and compassion. My company is collecting can goods to feed the hungry.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM
This story just made my day!!!
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM

That is beautiful.  Things like that show that my faith in humanity and in goodness is justified. 

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM

That's just awesome

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)