Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

amazon prime tv and movies

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM
  • 27 Replies
I finally signed up for my 30 day trial of amazon prime. All of the tv shows and movies want to charge me to watch. I thought prime was supposed to have a lot of these for free.
For those of you who use this service, where do I go to find the free ones that my prime subscription pays for? Even the ones under the prime menu want me to pay to watch them.
Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM

bump

ReadWriteLuv
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM

There is very little for free on Amazon Instant. VERY little. They have better content than Netfix, but at a premium price.

I've been a Prime member for 4 years. I've only used Amazon Instant to download movies to my Kindle Fire, and last week to watch Christmas Vacation and Scrooged because they were free for a limited time. I don't think there is an option to just search for their free stuff. The first season of some tv shows are free, like Downton Abbey. You just have to search for what you want, and hopefully it's cheap.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
So, from a movie and tv standpoint, what is the value in paying for the prime membership? Are the movie rental fees cheaper with prime than without?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

There is very little for free on Amazon Instant. VERY little. They have better content than Netfix, but at a premium price.

I've been a Prime member for 4 years. I've only used Amazon Instant to download movies to my Kindle Fire, and last week to watch Christmas Vacation and Scrooged because they were free for a limited time. I don't think there is an option to just search for their free stuff. The first season of some tv shows are free, like Downton Abbey. You just have to search for what you want, and hopefully it's cheap.

ReadWriteLuv
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never get the Prime just for the Amazon Instant Video. For that alone, it's not worth it. I buy everything from Amazon, and I mean EVERYTHING. I buy flour and sugar from there, lol. I do Prime for the free shipping on any amount of purchase, and for the free Kindle books that you can find with the Prime membership in the Kindle store.

Quoting adamsmom0116: So, from a movie and tv standpoint, what is the value in paying for the prime membership? Are the movie rental fees cheaper with prime than without?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM
There are a few good things but I find more on Netflix. We use the wii to watch both and that does have an option to just show the free stuff.
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM
on the computer, there is am option to find the free ones. I find a lot of movies to watch. But they aren't the super new ones. I think hunger games is free right now.
christaberk
by Christa on Dec. 27, 2013 at 6:12 AM
See, I would think it should all be free like Netflix.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Yeah, I thought that was part of what the $79/year covered. I guess instead it's more like prepayment of shipping charges!

Quoting christaberk: See, I would think it should all be free like Netflix.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I don't mind if they aren't super new ones. I am bummed that I have to pay $79/year for the service and then 2 or 3 bucks every time I want to watch something. I guess I completely misunderstood how the service works.

Quoting deccaf: on the computer, there is am option to find the free ones. I find a lot of movies to watch. But they aren't the super new ones. I think hunger games is free right now.

ReadWriteLuv
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM

It's only worth it if you buy a lot of things from Amazon to begin with. Like I said, I do. I make probably one Amazon purchase a week, and that is just in shippable goods. If we're talking Kindle books and apps, I probably make 10 purchases a month.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Yeah, I thought that was part of what the $79/year covered. I guess instead it's more like prepayment of shipping charges!

Quoting christaberk: See, I would think it should all be free like Netflix.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)