Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Is the hiring process too nit picky and political ?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:08 PM
  • 7 Replies

I've been a sahm for a while and I feel that they are just gonna toss my resume as soon as they see the last time I worked. I have volunteered at a hospital. It's like employers think people "just forget" their skills and that's not true. We just moved to a new city which is a VERY small town. There are no community colleges here where I can update my skills and I don't trust online schools. I'm a medical assistant. I hate the field and I wish I could do something a little more or a career that was more than being the office gopher.

P.S. My husband doesn't have to think about our child when he goes off to work. Of course if I go to work it's "all my" responsibility from getting her to school to getting her home. I'm burnt out from trying to get a better career and be a mom at the same time with everything working on a perfect schedule. There is nobody to get my child off the bus but me and no afterschool programs here and nobody to watch my kid during holidays or sick days or summer vacation. My husband has a good job but I feel like I need to bring home the bacon. Before we were married, I worked and worked and now society makes me feel like crap because I'm a sahm.

The best solution would be to start my own business but I can't do that with the skills I have. I mean I'm not an accountant that can suddenly work from home. Anyone work from home and how did you do it ? How do people convince hiring staff that you're not brain dead from being a sahm ?

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Write down skills that you have on one side of a paper. On the other side, list how you gained those skills and areas that you used them. Include every aspect of your life: sahm, volunteer duties, organizations you are part of, projects you've done, etc.

As for you and your husband, you need to get on the same page about responsibilities. My husband is a vice principal now so I am doing most of the running around but when he is home, I communicate what I need him to do to help (dinner, homework, etc.). I have to say that he takes initiative most of the time... But there are times I need to remind him. When he was a teacher, he didn't work as many hours as he does now so it was a little more even. I have no problem confronting him if he isn't helping.
mskeeinmd
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Look at the job description that you want and tailor your resume to fit that.  Certified on-line degree programs are legitimate and can help you secure a better position.  Even if you volunteer in an office where you want to get the career can help with your whole foot in the door experience.  Good luck!

dawncs
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a writer myself, and I use a publish on demand publisher that only requests that you purchase a book to be placed in the bookstores. It comes at a discount price. If you are great at photography, you can put together a picture book or sell photographs at a craft fair or in a gallery.

BoopBettyBoop
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a sahm now but I was.  I also bartended for 9 years and then decided to get back into the office field.  I guess I was fortunate to have a business hire me when my "office" skills were a few years old.  They had me come in for a day on a "trial" so maybe that is something that you could offer to the employer, that way they could see that your skills aren't "rusty".  I am hoping to become a sahm/wahm this year with the business that I just started and I didn't need any special skills.  I am sure you will be great at whatever comes your way.

miss_AP
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Relate your volunteering, committees, etc. to marketable and employable skills on your resume. Be willing to acknowledge faults. And I hate to say it...but yes, you do forget or lose your skills when you don't use them. Part of that is becuase you don't do the same things...partly because the market changes with respect to laws, rules, regulations, updated terminology, job duties, etc. Whether you like to admit it or not, that is training time the employer has to invest in you. Be willing to accept a lower position and work up, or lower pay for a certain number of months.

I have been employed steadily since I graduated college. I have been in my field (legal) for 6 years. However, when I took my current job, I had to take a paycute of $2.50/hour in order to learn the intricacies of a different area and court system (I was various forms of litigation, mostly state district court...moved to bankruptcy, mostly federal bankruptcy court). I wanted the job, I wanted to work for this attorney....so I agreed. After a 6 month trial period he bumped me up $1/hour since I had learned most of the ropes and didn't need as much help. After a year I was bumped $1.50 back to where I had been, becuase i could handle the job on my own without requiring a lot of his assistance. 

Being willing to work around and compromise and keeping an open mind will do wonders.

AylinsMom
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I thought I was going to get a lot of negative comments but these responses were VERY helpful. Thank You :)

JeremysMom
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM

What type of job would you want to do (either a dream job or what you see yourself doing?)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)