Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

birthday party ideas

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:30 AM
  • 15 Replies

DS's birthday is in 2 weeks. He'll be 8. We are having a heck of a time trying to figure out what to do for his birthday party. He can't really decide either.

I do not want to have a sleepover. We're in KS and the weather this time of year is not conducive to outside activities (currently the temp is 5, with a high of 21 today and I am NOT playing outside in that!).

All we're coming up with are the typical party games: Pin the tail on the donkey, scavenger hunt, etc. Does anyone have any fun and unique party ideas for 8 year old boys???

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:10 PM
We always host parties outside the home. What about a pool party at the local rec center? You could also do some sort of video game competition. How many kids are there?
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:34 PM

The local "rec center" is a workout facility with weights and a cardio room. No pool. No basketball court. None of that.

I don't know how many kids. We haven't sent invitations yet because I was trying to figure out what we'll be doing to see if DS can invite more kids or if he'll have to invite less. Trying to keep it under 10 though.

Quoting Nighttiger: We always host parties outside the home. What about a pool party at the local rec center? You could also do some sort of video game competition. How many kids are there?

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Ahh ;( I get spoiled living in a big city sometimes ;) What about allowing them to create tie dye shirts? Or giving everyone a nerf style gun (3packs of genetic brand for $5 at target), setting up targets around the house (plastic cups) and having a shooting competition?

Quoting adamsmom0116:

The local "rec center" is a workout facility with weights and a cardio room. No pool. No basketball court. None of that.

I don't know how many kids. We haven't sent invitations yet because I was trying to figure out what we'll be doing to see if DS can invite more kids or if he'll have to invite less. Trying to keep it under 10 though.

Quoting Nighttiger: We always host parties outside the home. What about a pool party at the local rec center? You could also do some sort of video game competition. How many kids are there?

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Yeah, we are limited not only by weather but also by location. :( 

The t-shirt idea is great! I'll have to bounce that one off DH and DS! Thanks!

Quoting Nighttiger: Ahh ;( I get spoiled living in a big city sometimes ;) What about allowing them to create tie dye shirts? Or giving everyone a nerf style gun (3packs of genetic brand for $5 at target), setting up targets around the house (plastic cups) and having a shooting competition?

Quoting adamsmom0116:

miss_AP
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I never host parties at the house, I hate the work. Some of the ideas here where we go outside of the house: ice skating (at the rink), roller skating, ceramics painting, indoor playland, indoor waterslide, indoor pool, bookstore, pizza restaurant, zoo, laser tag, indoor paint ball, chuck e cheese (**shudder**), movies at the theatre.

at home, maybe you could do a board game party? movie and popcorn? we did a pizza party and they all made their own pizzas...played while they were cooking...at and went home. Can you do it in the garage with heaters? We did a halloween party with my DD in October in my parents garage (COLD here then) and 3 small space heaters was fine in an oversized 3-car garage with the people in there. I don't think you necessarily need to have activities either...I see nothing wrong with just letting them play, then doing cake and ice cream and presents....letting them play until time to go :)

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:51 PM

The problem is that I live in a really rural area and we don't have any of those places closeby. The nearest movie theater is 30 miles, laser tag/zoo/playland/waterslide/skaing....all 80+ miles.

We had the last party at the local pizza place and the one before that at the ice cream place. So we've pretty well run the town out of party places.

Our garage is the dumping ground for crap DH doesn't know what to do with and is in no way suited for a party. Pizza is a good idea. I think I'm making it too difficult!

Quoting miss_AP:

I never host parties at the house, I hate the work. Some of the ideas here where we go outside of the house: ice skating (at the rink), roller skating, ceramics painting, indoor playland, indoor waterslide, indoor pool, bookstore, pizza restaurant, zoo, laser tag, indoor paint ball, chuck e cheese (**shudder**), movies at the theatre.

at home, maybe you could do a board game party? movie and popcorn? we did a pizza party and they all made their own pizzas...played while they were cooking...at and went home. Can you do it in the garage with heaters? We did a halloween party with my DD in October in my parents garage (COLD here then) and 3 small space heaters was fine in an oversized 3-car garage with the people in there. I don't think you necessarily need to have activities either...I see nothing wrong with just letting them play, then doing cake and ice cream and presents....letting them play until time to go :)

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Pizza Party - make your own pizza at home is a great idea.

What kind of things is your son into?

Since it sounds like you are needing something at home...think outside the box.

My DS wanted to have a Halloween Party for his last birthday - it was in May.  I said, sure, why not?  The kids LOVED the idea of dressing up in costumes for a party in May and I made halloween cupcakes & goodie bags.

We've also had a 'non-sleepover' pj party.  Our invite was for everyone to come over in the morning (staying in their PJs) and I served all breakfast items.  Everyone was gone before Noon.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
What is your son like? No outside = no sports or physical games, well, options are limited........

SkyLander arena battle/tournament to death?

We actually have multiple multiplayer computer games for kids to battle one another.

Lego building contests?

Hot wheel ramp and track building.

Quick wood project like a car or birdhouse, ay yi yi, I can hear the hammers now. (My YDS hammers and saws things ALL the time at 4!!)

A beach party would be hilarious right now in KS, sunglasses, tutti frutti drinks, sand pictures, fishing type game, freeze dance to tropical hulu songs........but the irony of that in the -9 degree weather would be lost on my kids, but it sounds fun to me..

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I like the pj party and the halloween party ideas....now you've got me thinking :) thanks!

Quoting ivf_blessed:

Pizza Party - make your own pizza at home is a great idea.

What kind of things is your son into?

Since it sounds like you are needing something at home...think outside the box.

My DS wanted to have a Halloween Party for his last birthday - it was in May.  I said, sure, why not?  The kids LOVED the idea of dressing up in costumes for a party in May and I made halloween cupcakes & goodie bags.

We've also had a 'non-sleepover' pj party.  Our invite was for everyone to come over in the morning (staying in their PJs) and I served all breakfast items.  Everyone was gone before Noon.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 8:21 PM
The beach party is a cool idea. I have a recipe for a pool cake that has the center scooped out and replaced with blue jello to make water for the pool, and uses candy to make a diving board, chairs, etc......might have to noodle on that for a bit.
Ds and his friends are all athletic, active kids. They love being outside and the -9 really doesn't bother them. They love legos and wii, star wars and nerf guns......all the typical boy stuff.
I think the problem is I'm just not too hip on a bunch of 8 yp's running wild in my house :)

Quoting Marti123: What is your son like? No outside = no sports or physical games, well, options are limited........

SkyLander arena battle/tournament to death?

We actually have multiple multiplayer computer games for kids to battle one another.

Lego building contests?

Hot wheel ramp and track building.

Quick wood project like a car or birdhouse, ay yi yi, I can hear the hammers now. (My YDS hammers and saws things ALL the time at 4!!)

A beach party would be hilarious right now in KS, sunglasses, tutti frutti drinks, sand pictures, fishing type game, freeze dance to tropical hulu songs........but the irony of that in the -9 degree weather would be lost on my kids, but it sounds fun to me..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN