Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Advice Needed: Going back to work after 6 years of not working!!!???

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:03 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have 3 school aged kids and tryign to go back to work since my youngest was born which was 6 years ago. I have put my application in all over and got a call back for a seasonal job. What is everyone's thoughts on taking the job with it only being seasonal and what if I get offered a full time job? 

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I would take what you can.  It's a tough market and a person with a job is more likely to get a better one.  People out of the workforce for long periods are finding it harder to get positions.

kellysp6637
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:32 AM

I agree with this 1000%....it is a very tough job market, and many companies won't even look at someone if they've been out of the working world for an extended period of time, take what you can get for now, and you can branch off into something more permanent as you get your feet more braced in the working world.

Good Luck!

Quoting deccaf:

I would take what you can.  It's a tough market and a person with a job is more likely to get a better one.  People out of the workforce for long periods are finding it harder to get positions.

miss_AP
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I would take it but keep looking. The experience will not be bad, it can only help, even if it's short-term. It is REALLY hard to get back after so many years of not working, and some places won't even consider the application. You might have a hard time getting into a more specific or specialized field after such a big break from the work force. Take whatever you can get!

andrea96
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Seasonal jobs can turn into full-time jobs. I would take it but keep looking. Assuming it's not a contract job, you can leave at any time.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Take the job and keep looking

luv214
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Thank you so much for all of your responses.  It is very hard after being out of work for so long but you all are right I should take it and keep looking, I also figured something could come of it to be a full time position.  I just wasnt sure if I took it and then got offered something better and full time, I just wasnt sure about leaving it for the full time position.   But thank you all so much :)

fawhna
by Fawhna on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I would take it. I started back working after 5 years of being home. It was the happiest day of my living life.:) Best Days:) I can happily say stayed home with mines.....gratefully.

AylinsMom
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:21 PM

I feel that there is discrimination from employers against sahm's. Will they ever realize how grateful a sahm will be to start working ? That just shows you how dumb some employers are. Just take baby steps for now and take a class here and there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN