Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Can working overnights kill u

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:41 PM
  • 10 Replies
I honestly think about this often. I have been working a overnight job for two years and I pretty much sleep and go to work. The time in between is to spend with my kids. On my days off which is during the week I have our youngest dd with me. So a good chunk of my time is taking care if her and other things it need to take care of. I just feel like I am on a never ending treadmill of no real time to be healthy although I am trying to fix that with eating clean but its hard to fit in excercise.
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelchewning
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell me about it! Its no different working normal hours...being a mommy consumes every waking moment. you are not alone!!!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
First, we all do what we have to do to provide for our families. There should no guilt in that. Millions of parents live and work odd shifts.

I not sure if your question was meant to be a rhetorical one, so the following may not be appreciated, sorry, But to answer your question....numerous reputable studies show shift workers have more health problems and lower life expectancy or in other words they die a little sooner. The other concern, numerous studies show sleep deprivation to be a factor in fatalities in motor vehicle accidents. And subjects who are sleep deprived are frequently as impaired (slow reaction times & distractions) as drunk drivers.

So all you can do is to try to get as much rest as possible. I worked nights for a little over 5 years, I know it is rough, hang in there!
RhiannonMare
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I personally enjoy working overnights at the ER vet hospital where I work. I'm a night owl and will be way up past daylight if I didn't have medicinal help.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:38 PM
I have heard that to and I agree on some aspects that the diet of a overnight shift person is already starting off bad by the drinking of coffee and energy drinks

Quoting Marti123: First, we all do what we have to do to provide for our families. There should no guilt in that. Millions of parents live and work odd shifts.

I not sure if your question was meant to be a rhetorical one, so the following may not be appreciated, sorry, But to answer your question....numerous reputable studies show shift workers have more health problems and lower life expectancy or in other words they die a little sooner. The other concern, numerous studies show sleep deprivation to be a factor in fatalities in motor vehicle accidents. And subjects who are sleep deprived are frequently as impaired (slow reaction times & distractions) as drunk drivers.

So all you can do is to try to get as much rest as possible. I worked nights for a little over 5 years, I know it is rough, hang in there!
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Being a working mom can be exhausting. I think working nights is a little harder

AylinsMom
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I worked 3rd shift for 6 years. The employer had the nerve to require us to attend meetings from end of shift until 12 p.m ! This was about twice a month meetings. Working 3rd shift WILL MAKE YOU FAT. Read up on articles to avoid this 3rd shift pitfall ! Can you make time to exercise 30 minutes before work ?

Mommabearbergh
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:44 PM
That's my travel time. I will see if I can fit it in

Quoting AylinsMom:

I worked 3rd shift for 6 years. The employer had the nerve to require us to attend meetings from end of shift until 12 p.m ! This was about twice a month meetings. Working 3rd shift WILL MAKE YOU FAT. Read up on articles to avoid this 3rd shift pitfall ! Can you make time to exercise 30 minutes before work ?

Mackensie52
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Ya I worked graveyards for a few years and felt the same way! I luckily was hired for another job the day I went in to be induced with my 1st son! My hat is off to you for being a mom working the night shift!

Mommabearbergh
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Thanks but I figure you do what you have to for your kids

Quoting Mackensie52:

Ya I worked graveyards for a few years and felt the same way! I luckily was hired for another job the day I went in to be induced with my 1st son! My hat is off to you for being a mom working the night shift!

HotMama330
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 3:22 PM

I've heard this as well.  Much of it has to do with interupting the body's natural sleep patterns and interfering with the hormones the body natural produces during REM sleep.

So, op, if you feel your job is making you sick, it just might be. 

Quoting Marti123:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)