Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Relief?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM
  • 12 Replies

I ended up going to urgent care last night for these allergies I have been suffering with since October.  Kaiser would NOT give me anything but OTC allergy meds.  Now I have different insurance, but no card.  So I ended up being there 3hours.  Ugh.  But I left with a script for prednisone, a steroid cream for my eczema (it's gotten bad), and two nasal sprays.  Maybe after I pick these up I will start feeling better?

by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Wow.  I sure hope so!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Notice there is still no actual allergy medication in that list.  Why is it so hard to get allergy meds?

Quoting the3Rs:

Wow.  I sure hope so!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM

You poor thing, I am so sorry. I hope you get to feeling better.

Corticosteroid nasal sprays are first line treatment for allergies per evidence based practice & research. Any non-sedating histamines, and sedating anti-histamine (benedryl)  are now all available over the counter. Steroids are excellent and blunting the over-active immune system causing allergies, actually one the best treatments, but the side effects come at too hefty of a price to use first line. So that is saved until symptoms are soooo severe.

So really antihistamine eye drops, anithistamine & steroids nasal sprays are the only prescription medication availalbe for allergies these days. There are really no prescriptions pills, other than something called Singular and that is not as effective for everyone like the nasal sprays. It works well for a little less of half of those with allergies, so it may be worth a try to ask for when you go back in follow-up if you are using your nasal spray as prescribed with not complete relief..

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:01 PM

oh, and the biggest mistake my patients always made, is using steroids sporacdically; they really work at peak effect if you use them daily!!

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Wow - hope you feel better soon!

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Hope you feel better soon
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Feel better. Are otc meds not working?

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I have tried every OTC allergy med I can find either on shelf or at the pharmacy counter.  Nothing has worked.  I have been begging for something stronger.  I think I may need to do allergy testing so I can avoid the triggers as much as possible, though I'm pretty sure I know what it was (is). 

I have been severely allergic to grass since I can remember.  To the point that I break out in a skin reaction if I touch it, and sneeze, etc when people mow.  I also have allergies to dust and wool, but who knows if I have developed new allergies since my last test (in highschool). 

Quoting cjsmom1:

Feel better. Are otc meds not working?

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Quoting Marti123:

Corticosteroid nasal sprays are first line treatment for allergies per evidence based practice & research. Any non-sedating histamines, and sedating anti-histamine (benedryl)  are now all available over the counter. Steroids are excellent and blunting the over-active immune system causing allergies, actually one the best treatments, but the side effects come at too hefty of a price to use first line. So that is saved until symptoms are soooo severe.

So really antihistamine eye drops, anithistamine & steroids nasal sprays are the only prescription medication availalbe for allergies these days. There are really no prescriptions pills, other than something called Singular and that is not as effective for everyone like the nasal sprays. It works well for a little less of half of those with allergies, so it may be worth a try to ask for when you go back in follow-up if you are using your nasal spray as prescribed with not complete relief..

I was given prescription levocetirizine for a while.  Then I lost insurance :/ It was the only allergy med that worked for me after being on otc meds for so long.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM

That is good it worked you, bad about the insurance thing though. 

However, to my knowledge there are still no published studies demonstrating it's efficacy over the 2nd generation over the counter medication cetirizine. However there is a lot of marketing from the pharmaceuticals wanting us to prescribe it so patients and/or insurance spend a lot more money. It has a place, but only after reputable studied drugs have been tried and failed. 

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting Marti123:

I was given prescription levocetirizine for a while.  Then I lost insurance :/ It was the only allergy med that worked for me after being on otc meds for so long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)