Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working moms who go to school..

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:50 AM
  • 4 Replies

I work a full time job with a set schedule (8:30-5 M-F), I have a 15 month old and 6 yr old. I want nothing more right now than to go to school.  I am 26 and never went to college after high school. I feel like I never had the support and encouragement from my family, as a result it just didn't seem like an option in my mind. 

I opted to go to a vocational technical school( for Cosmetology) in high school. I took my mandatory classes for High school half the day and went to the Votech the other half.  By doing this I missed out on a lot of classes that would have been beneficial to being a college student.  I was also screwed out of even taking my state boards for my cosmetology license. The year I completed all of my hours, they changed the requirements and techniques for the state board test. I would have had to do further schooling where I should have already had the knowledge and hours to take my state boards. 

Right now I am glad I didn't put the effort into it. Even though I was great at it, it was not for me. I am trying to picture what I would enjoy going to school for  and end up doing the rest of my life. 

I also have no idea how I am going to balance 2 kids, a full time job, and school.  Any advice from you ladies would be greatly appreciated.  Have any of you gone to school while balancing a job & kids without missing them growing up? Was it worth it for you in the end? Any tips?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I was only balancing one kid, and was going to school before getting pregnant.  I took one semester off to have her.  I went to night classes, so most of the time I was away was while she was either going to sleep or actually sleeping.  DH took over duty for those nights. 

It was VERY worth it.  I would say do as much as you can in small segments.  15 minute break?  Great time to get a little reading done.  30 minute lunch?  Do some homework.  Every small bit of time you get needs to be put to use.  If you wait for large blocks of time to study, you may never get it.

Oh, and it never failed.  Whenever I had something MAJOR due, DD would get sick.  Prepare for it.

krystalmaye2429
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM

My SO works 2pm-11pm shifts so I live like a single parent. My best friend , who I happen to work with, just started nursing school. She leaves work and comes back for her classes. I would have to do something like that. I have one kid and school and the other in daycare for those hours. 

I am lucky enough to have a job where I probably could get school work done during my working hours. I am a fast learner and retain information quite well. I am mainly worried about missing out on a lot when it comes to my kids, i don't sleep well as it is, and I am scared of failing at this point in my life. 

I don't want my current hectic and draining schedule effect my schoolwork. College is a lot of money that I don't want to just throw away. 

Did you have to cut back on work hours? 

Quoting deccaf:

I was only balancing one kid, and was going to school before getting pregnant.  I took one semester off to have her.  I went to night classes, so most of the time I was away was while she was either going to sleep or actually sleeping.  DH took over duty for those nights. 

It was VERY worth it.  I would say do as much as you can in small segments.  15 minute break?  Great time to get a little reading done.  30 minute lunch?  Do some homework.  Every small bit of time you get needs to be put to use.  If you wait for large blocks of time to study, you may never get it.

Oh, and it never failed.  Whenever I had something MAJOR due, DD would get sick.  Prepare for it.

caustinb
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:14 PM
I would take my stuff to work and use my lunch hour for homework and studying. Also, I would record lectures and listen on my commute.
krystalmaye2429
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Recording the lectures is a great idea. My trip to work is only 7 minutes one way, but I could probably listen to it at work between calls. 

Quoting caustinb: I would take my stuff to work and use my lunch hour for homework and studying. Also, I would record lectures and listen on my commute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)