Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Sophia, would you please make some coffee

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM
  • 4 Replies

HELL - STINKIN-OOO!

I am an Executive Assistant, blah, blah, blah...

I decided to take my lunch break in the the office kitchen today.  There were several other staff in the kitchen enjoying lunch as well.  As I got up from the table to go back to work and one of the women asked me to make some coffee....I said, "sure."  I wished I had said, " here, let me show how to use the coffee machine. Its really easy..."  Of course I would have been polite, but at lease she might have understood that I'm not here to make her coffee.

I don't know how I feel about this...

I'm sure there are several element at play here that make me frustrated that she asked me to make her coffee.

What are your thoughts? Questions?

Sophia - Coffee Maker - 0411

Sophia0411

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Marz31
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

It happens in my office of over 100. not to me, but I know there are MANY people who do drink coffee and then ignore it when it's empty so someone else has to make it. not quite the same, but there are people who check it even if they aren't getting any and make more if it's empty. I had a job many moons ago where I sat by the coffee maker and it was part of my job, eventho I didn't partake. it was frustrating for sure! I'd probably have done it anyway, and I suppose it someone asked me to do it here, I probably wouldn't but again, I don't drink coffee, so if it sucks, not my problem! LOL But really, why couldn't the other woman have made the coffee if she saw the need? I don't really get it.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I always offer to show them.  Of course, gently explaining that the maker is confusing and this way they can make it whenever they want some.  I have a Keurig in my own office for a reason.  I don't drink the kitchen coffee, and therefore, I don't make it.

Sophia0411
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM

For me there are some background noises involved - I'm African American, I'm in the least "professional" position in the agency, I don't even have a formal job description, I didn't even know that I was expected to make coffee...what next? Sharpen pencils?!

Sophia0411

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I got asked to make coffee once years ago.  Since I never drink it, and we use a Keurig at home if guests want coffee, I have never been able to make it properly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)