Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Director called me about an anonymous survey

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok I really don't know what to do right now. I just got a call from the daycare director at my son's daycare. Its a childcare center associated with my work. They had a survey they handed out asking parents to fill out for their accreditation renewal coming up. Well I guess they were short some surveys. I filled mine out when they had a second request that they put on the message board at the center. I filled it out and wrote one negative thing. It had nothing to do with my son or his teachers, but I saw another teacher do something I found was inappropriate and goes against their polices. So I wrote that in the comments section, sandwiched between two glowing happy comments. 

Well… today I get a call from the director asking if I turned in a survey recently and if I had any negative comments. She wanted to investigate it further but since the surveys are ANONYMOUS they were having a hard time tracking who wrote it. She said it kinda looked like my handwriting so she thought she'd ask me. 1. I no longer trust and will never fill out anything else for them. 2. It is completely wrong that she contacted anyone regarding an anonymous survey. My guess is that even though I tried to be discreet, someone saw me. She can't know all parents handwriting. They have 4 baby rooms plus 2 -5 year old rooms. I didn't care I still lied. It was wrong she called me. I feel like someone should know she's done this, its unethical. However, if I'm the only one she called and I report her, she'll know it was me who complained about her. These people are involved in my son's childcare and I don't want to take a chance of it affecting his care. I said all wonderful things about his teachers. It was a teacher from another room completely.

Let it go?

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be totally upfront with her myself.  I would say that it doesn't matter whether you wrote it or not, it's an anonymous survey and she has no right to try to track down the author - whoever it may be.

antyler
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Well I did. She basically acted like it was no big deal and said the information isn't confidential. That my handwriting looked familiar and she thought it was mine so shed see if she could get more info. Won't be doing that again.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't fill out another survey for them either. If it's anonymous then they shouldn't be asking anyone whether or not they filled out that survey.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
i would worry that the syrvey didnt make it into the hands of the accreditation entity. a far better way wiuld have been to have the syrveys sent directly to the accreditation entity or using a web based survey monkey
sakpoints
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
That is exactly why places have a hard time getting honest feed back from surveys. Answers should be anonymous and if they can't be trusted to keep them that way they need to use survey monkey or a similar service.
ljmom24
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

we have these surveys at work they are supposibly anonymous. Its run through a 3rd party but its done on our PC and they know who fills them out and who doesn't. Plus when we have negative ones they hold meetings and try to drag the issues out. They claim they can't address issues if they don't know them. Um its the same stuff year after year. No commucation and no team work. Now I just fill in very neutral no comments.

I'd let it go. How much longer do you have there? Would never do another survey and if approached next year as to why I'd be up front not very anonymous don't feel comfortable. Although I am guessing since this is for an accreditation its a little different then doing a costumer care survey so probably shouldn't have asked for annonymous if they needed to address issues on it.

sakpoints
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:22 PM
My office has the same issue. They also consider neutral as a negative response and then have meetings for months about them. We keep telling them to add a not applicable option because many mark neutral for questions that don't effect them.

Quoting ljmom24:

we have these surveys at work they are supposibly anonymous. Its run through a 3rd party but its done on our PC and they know who fills them out and who doesn't. Plus when we have negative ones they hold meetings and try to drag the issues out. They claim they can't address issues if they don't know them. Um its the same stuff year after year. No commucation and no team work. Now I just fill in very neutral no comments.

I'd let it go. How much longer do you have there? Would never do another survey and if approached next year as to why I'd be up front not very anonymous don't feel comfortable. Although I am guessing since this is for an accreditation its a little different then doing a costumer care survey so probably shouldn't have asked for annonymous if they needed to address issues on it.

JeremysMom
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Why didn't you report the incident to the director when you first saw the incident.

antyler
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 7:21 PM
I don't know which teachers are friends and I wouldn't want them to treat me or my son different if I got one of their friends in trouble.

Quoting JeremysMom:

Why didn't you report the incident to the director when you first saw the incident.

JeremysMom
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Quoting antyler: I don't know which teachers are friends and I wouldn't want them to treat me or my son different if I got one of their friends in trouble.

Quoting JeremysMom:

If it was serious enough to write on a survey for an accreditation then it is serious enough to report to the director, especially if it involved a child. If you have to worry about someone retaliating your son, then it's time to find a new daycare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN