Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep paralysis

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:03 AM
  • 11 Replies
I absolutely hate it. It's something I've dealt with for years - maybe 3-4 times per year - but that's 3-4 times too many. BUT when it is immediately preceded by a horrifying nightmare? Yeah. SUCKY night. Ugh.
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:49 AM
its scary. periodically it happens to me too. and it does seem I wake up from a. "im being chased by something" dream only to find I cannot move.
bldsukr
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM
I have had sleep paralysis for Years! Usually when Im over tired its really bad. But I can always tell when its going to happen because I hear a buzzing sound. Do you get that too?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:50 AM

No.  I wish I did because then at least I'd have some warning and be a bit more prepared.  I haven't figured out a 'trigger' yet.

Quoting bldsukr: I have had sleep paralysis for Years! Usually when Im over tired its really bad. But I can always tell when its going to happen because I hear a buzzing sound. Do you get that too?

bldsukr
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Yours is also different in the order of the nightmare then paralysis, mine is when I try to wake up and can't, I get the feeling that something is in the room with me (one time I felt like something was sitting on my chest! Sooo scary!) so I try my hardest to scream and move to wake up but the only thing that works is to acknowledge that I'm stuck, calm down and make myself go back to sleep, when Im finally asleep again Im able to jolt myself awake! Next time it happens to you, think about your day to see if you were super exhausted. I really think theres a connection to being over tired.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Yes, I don't usually have a nightmare before hand.  I'm like you though - my mind is awake & aware of my surroundings, but I can't open my eyes, move, scream, nothing.  I also feel a rushing - like water - in my ears and I, too, feel like something sinister is there.

It SUCKS.

Quoting bldsukr: Yours is also different in the order of the nightmare then paralysis, mine is when I try to wake up and can't, I get the feeling that something is in the room with me (one time I felt like something was sitting on my chest! Sooo scary!) so I try my hardest to scream and move to wake up but the only thing that works is to acknowledge that I'm stuck, calm down and make myself go back to sleep, when Im finally asleep again Im able to jolt myself awake! Next time it happens to you, think about your day to see if you were super exhausted. I really think theres a connection to being over tired.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:04 AM

DH gets that.  It usually happens during a nightmare.  I woke up one night with the need to wake him.  I resisted.  He said he wished I would have.

bldsukr
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:30 AM
So you do hear what I call a Buzzing!!! Does it sometimes sound like it comes in waves? Sorry Im not good at describing it! Lol but I really think its the same thing we hear. My mother in law has sp too and hears it as well. Weird right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bldsukr
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Deccaf, yeah my dh is soo used to it that he can tell when Im stuck and he wakes me up. Definitely try to learn what to look for so you can wake him! You can't imagine how terrible and scary it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beachbum74
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

How long does it normally last? 

KeyKeyW
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I've had it a few times. Once I recognize it's going on I just stay relaxed and keep reminding myself whatever seems sinister in the room is not real and in some seconds to minutes I can move.

Here are a couple of great articles I've just found that may further help us...

Sleep Paralysis
http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis

Treatment of Sleep Paralysis
http://www.fountia.com/sleep-paralysis-treatment/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)