Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Saw this on Facebook

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:47 AM
  • 6 Replies

One of my friends shared the Fox news version, she is upset that the government is apparently making it so hard for young people to own businesses and pursue their dreams.  What do you think? I have my opinions on this, wanted to see where others lie on the spectrum :)

11-year-old girl's cupcake business shut down by Madison County officials

After-school jobs are tougher to keep, apparently, than they used to be.

On Sunday, a Belleville News-Democrat story featured 11-year-old Chloe Stirling of Troy, Ill., a sixth-grader at Triad Middle School who makes about $200 a month selling cupcakes.

On Monday, the long arm of the law — in this case, the Madison County Health Department — put an end to that.

“They called and said they were shutting us down,” Chloe’s mother, Heather Stirling, told the Post-Dispatch.

Furthermore, Heather Stirling said the officials told her that for Chloe to continue selling cupcakes, the family would have to “buy a bakery or build her a kitchen separate from the one we have.”

“Obviously, we can’t do that,” Heather Stirling said. “We’ve already given her a little refrigerator to keep her things in, and her grandparents bought her a stand mixer.”

Heather Stirling said she wasn’t looking for special consideration for her daughter and would be willing to get the necessary licenses and permits to run a business.

"But a separate kitchen? Who can do that?” Heather Stirling said.

Amy Yeager, a health department spokeswoman, said the county was only applying the law governing all food-selling businesses.

"The rules are the rules. It’s for the protection of the public health,” Yeager said. “The guidelines apply to everyone.”

When asked if she was aware of how shutting down an 11-year-old girl’s business would appear to the general public, Yeager replied, “People will react how they choose to react. But it is our job.”

The only positive Heather Stirling can see is that it may save her some money.

"I promised Chloe when she started that I’d match her dollar-for-dollar on what she earned,” she said. “She’s saving up for a car.”

"Joe's St. Louis" appears online Monday-Friday and in print on Saturday. Holleman's "Life Sherpa" column appears in the Everyday section of the Sunday newspaper. On Fridays, he is a guest at 11:10 a.m. on KTRS-AM "The Big 550." You also can follow him on Facebook and Twitter.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Marz31
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:03 AM

The amount she's probably MAKING falls under the Cottage Industry laws which don't follow the same requirements as larger operations. this is just ridiculous. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this

The article doesn't state if she had a food handler's permit.  It is missing a lot of information.  If she was operating outside what the laws state, I would be fine with this.  However, if the Cottage industry laws apply, which I assume the family would check into, they need to fight this.  I'm all for entrepreneurs, but within the laws.  The young lady can take this as a lesson to learn the regulations before starting a business.

Yes.  I know I sound heartless, but making food is no joke to me.  People can get sick if it's not done right.  Maybe there is a dog in the house.  Maybe that's why they insist on the separate kitchen?  There are all kinds of issues that could have caused this action.  The article is lacking a LOT of information.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:42 AM
I agree. Her age doesn't mean she can skirt laws. It sucks but would we be saying "just let the 30 year old do it?"

Quoting deccaf:

The article doesn't state if she had a food handler's permit.  It is missing a lot of information.  If she was operating outside what the laws state, I would be fine with this.  However, if the Cottage industry laws apply, which I assume the family would check into, they need to fight this.  I'm all for entrepreneurs, but within the laws.  The young lady can take this as a lesson to learn the regulations before starting a business.

Yes.  I know I sound heartless, but making food is no joke to me.  People can get sick if it's not done right.  Maybe there is a dog in the house.  Maybe that's why they insist on the separate kitchen?  There are all kinds of issues that could have caused this action.  The article is lacking a LOT of information.

angelchewning
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:20 PM

exactly. Sorry, Chloe, but just like the rest of the world, the law must always be followed. this is a teaching opportunity for her parents. not only about following rules to the letter but also about acheiving goals despite obstacles and facing the obstacles with grace. the world will never be easy!

Quoting Nighttiger: I agree. Her age doesn't mean she can skirt laws. It sucks but would we be saying "just let the 30 year old do it?"

Quoting deccaf:

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I found another article somewhere else stating she didn't have any permits, licenses, etc.  She lives in Illinois, which requires a TON of things to be met to sell cottage food, and cottage food can only be sold at farmer's markets in Illinois. The separate kitchen may be a county specific requirement, or their kitchen may have been incapable of being brought to code.  I pointed out on my friend's post that the girl would still need to have license, permits, possibly deal with taxes, insurance, etc and one of her friends commented that she is sure the IRS isn't going to check where her income comes from, and if all the people who do cash on the side jobs don't claim it on taxes why should she? *bowed out of thread before starting my first Facebook fight*

Quoting deccaf:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

JeremysMom
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Many states and even cities/counties have laws about this. It's a hard lesson to learn at 11, but at least she wasn't fined for breaking the law. I have known a few people who sold from out of their home without the proper requirements and when they were reported/found out, they had to pay huge fines. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN