Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

terminating employees

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:38 AM
  • 8 Replies

Apparently one of our employees was let go this morning.

Even though I don't work in HR anymore, and even though I've not had to fire one of my own direct reports, I still get sick to my stomach when people get fired. It sucks. I feel so bad for them, even though I know most of the time they do it to themselves and they usually know it's coming......I still hate it.

Had to get that out.

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM

It is horrible, I know, I hope to never find myself in management again for several reasons, but "managing people out" is certainly one of the biggest reasons! 

MommyChance
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:53 AM
I do feel bad when people get fired, especially when I'm the one that has to do it. Luckily the only times I've had to the person was way out of line. My first hire/fire the girl showed up to her first day completely obliterated. She was so messed up she asked 6 times, in an hour time span, what a certain door went to (it was clearly labeled restroom). I still felt bad cause I knew her daughters birthday was the next day.
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I hear ya.  I am the one that writes the final check.  So I know before they do.  And sometimes, it makes me sad.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:10 AM

It's so hard knowing that their whole life is possibly screwed up - and like you said, the daughter's birthday....It just is not a fun experience.

Quoting MommyChance: I do feel bad when people get fired, especially when I'm the one that has to do it. Luckily the only times I've had to the person was way out of line. My first hire/fire the girl showed up to her first day completely obliterated. She was so messed up she asked 6 times, in an hour time span, what a certain door went to (it was clearly labeled restroom). I still felt bad cause I knew her daughters birthday was the next day.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I am in the same position. I usually know before they do. And, unfortunately, my office is right across the hall from the conference room. I try not to be in my office when they are having that meeting and coming out.

Quoting deccaf:

I hear ya.  I am the one that writes the final check.  So I know before they do.  And sometimes, it makes me sad.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:14 AM

My office is hidden away from nearly everyone, so unless you are coming specifically to my office, I don't see people.  I rarely have to see the outcome.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

I am in the same position. I usually know before they do. And, unfortunately, my office is right across the hall from the conference room. I try not to be in my office when they are having that meeting and coming out.

Quoting deccaf:

ljmom24
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I don't work in HR but have had many lay offs over the last 5 years. Its rough as the ones left behind its mixed emotions. Had a coworker who was a friend fired for something a few months ago. Its very strange now when I talk to her. What she was literally fired for is BS but to be honest there were other reasons that weren't...

alexisb3
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I am in HR and have fired 2 people so far.One was in late most of the week.The other had drug use problems,have an anti drug policy except for medical use only.I will be exempt from this,going on medical marijuana for my migraine headaches sometime and my boss knows this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)