Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I need advice from Work-at-Home Moms!

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi Mamas. I have multiple part-time jobs as a teacher and a consultant. I work out of home roughly ten hours a week. However, I work another 30 hours/week at home. I have a six month old baby. She is starting to crawl and is a loud talker/squealer. Also, while she sleeps well at night, she isn't a good napper. I am struggling to get work done and making/taking phone calls is a nightmare. I can't afford help and I've got to do much of my work between normal 9-5 hours. (I'm also in charge of the usual cooking, cleaning, etc. which I do late at night.) What strategies do you use to get stuff done? Thanks!

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
phillypalmetto
by New Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:18 PM

is there anyone you know that could watch your little one, and you could trade times and watch their child, or do some sort of barter for their time?  i feel for you, very hard to work at home if it's not quiet, so you can concentrate, talk on the phone, etc.  good luck

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I have similar struggles except, I only work at home 20 hours or so. My DD is 4 1/2 months.

luckily my DD will often nap in her swing. She often takes a binkey to stay quiet for several minutes. We rotate from, play mat, to exer saucer, to jumperoo, to bumbo and to another exer saucer, but honestly On a rare occasion I have had to put her in another room and let her cry at critical times. Never too long of course.

I am lucky she is a very congenial baby too. And I know this temporary, because she's number 3 , and I know the next development phase well. there is no way I could do this long term, especially once she gets mobile and needs even more play & interaction. 

My house is often a mess! That just waits until I get to it!

tetris1515
by New Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Well, it is comforting to know I'm not alone in this. I've been feeling very inept. I suppose I just need to take it one day at a time and remember that she is much more important that any work I may have. Thanks, Mamas!

HotMama330
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Do you have relatives or friends that could help?

Thankfully, I don't have to take many phone calls, but when I do I use Schedule Once.  That way, I'm always expecting a call and can plan ahead.

RindalaMiller
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Hey pretty lady!

It IS hard, isn't it?  I also work from home and homeschool our 8, 5, and 2 yr old.  Your 6 month old sweetie is not sleeping enough!  She needs to be napping consistently during the day, at least 3 hours broken in 2 segments or one long nap in the afternoon.

I would suggest the book Good Night, Sleep Tight.  I used it for all 3 boys and they all were great nappers and then nighttime they would go down at 6:00 or 6:30 and sleep until 8 in the morning.  I have also loaned it to countless mothers who were struggling and it fixed things for them also.  It teaches baby that they need to sleep, without being the mean monster that is forcing them to.  My boys were also much happier and apt to play quietly when they got alllll their sleep.

I hope this helps.  I run 4 businesses, so I am stretched thin, also!  :)  Rindala.

Catch me on FB is you like...I'm the ONLY Rindala Miller on there.  hahaha!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN