Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Taxes done

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

All done.  Not my favorite time of year.

I owe $500 to state, no biggie.  I prefer owing to getting a refund.  Which means I need to make some adjustments to our federal, since we are getting $1400 back. 

Are yours done?  How'd you make out?

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Ours are not done. We have all the info turned into the accountants so now we wait. Hopefully they get them done quickly. I always get anxious waiting. We usually turn out fine, I just don't like the waiting. Especially this year. One of the guys I work with owes $15,000 on the Federal. OUCH! I know that won't be how ours turn out because his situation is totally different than ours, but it still makes me edgy.

Yours didn't turn out too bad. That's great!

Starlit_Eyes
by New Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Finally got mine done on Sat and just waiting for the deposit. This year is the most I've got back so far - 7000 after fees etc. woohoo!

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:56 AM
We haven't done ours but will be about the same as you. I claim 9 and end up owing state and getting federal back. Nothing I can do though because 9 is the max before our state tries to report you and the state uses the same code as federal...you can't use different exemptions on your w4
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Wow.  Here in CA, they have their own form and everything.  So we are allowed to have different for state and Fed.  Can you request additional taken for state only and reduce the exemptions so fed balances and state gets what they want?

Quoting Nighttiger: We haven't done ours but will be about the same as you. I claim 9 and end up owing state and getting federal back. Nothing I can do though because 9 is the max before our state tries to report you and the state uses the same code as federal...you can't use different exemptions on your w4

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Nope. No change at all. It sucks that way. We just fill out one W4 and that's what you get. My only other option would be to send in quarterly payments but last year it was $660 owed to state. I'm not too worried about payments on that.

Quoting deccaf:

Wow.  Here in CA, they have their own form and everything.  So we are allowed to have different for state and Fed.  Can you request additional taken for state only and reduce the exemptions so fed balances and state gets what they want?

Quoting Nighttiger: We haven't done ours but will be about the same as you. I claim 9 and end up owing state and getting federal back. Nothing I can do though because 9 is the max before our state tries to report you and the state uses the same code as federal...you can't use different exemptions on your w4

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Kansas has a separate form from the W4 but it is exactly the same for exemptions, etc. So, we do have the opportunity to have different withholdings for Federal and State. I also have elected, in addtion to my "regular" state withholding, a set dollar amount from each check. So, it calc's whatever my deduction is for state withholding, and then holds another $20 per check. Can you do anything like that?

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Nope. We have no additional forms other than the federal W4. My only option would be manual quarterly payments that I have to mail in. For the 500 to 600 it's not worth the extra effort.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Kansas has a separate form from the W4 but it is exactly the same for exemptions, etc. So, we do have the opportunity to have different withholdings for Federal and State. I also have elected, in addtion to my "regular" state withholding, a set dollar amount from each check. So, it calc's whatever my deduction is for state withholding, and then holds another $20 per check. Can you do anything like that?

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:50 PM
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue/REVX/1177017542100
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Made it clicky.

Quoting Nighttiger: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue/REVX/1177017542100

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN