Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

i NeEd MoRe TiMe!!!

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:14 AM
  • 12 Replies

Im a single mom.....Its hard....I work 40 hrs a week. Once I get home and I cook sometimes but feel so tired most days. I play wth my son, eat, and sleep. How do people find time to cook a 3 course meal every night, do homework, clean-up, bath their kid(s), have me time and sleep???

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:22 PM
2 moms liked this
If it was just me and my DS, I would not cook a 3 course meal every night. I cook every night because I married an Italian and family meals is something he hold in high value.

Personally if I were you I would cook up my proteins on Sunday, and that should cover about 3 meals for the week, example, small roast, so #1 roast with veggies #2 add taco type spices, make tacos, #3 roast and egg hash then use your taco topping to make a salad another night and maybe do a quick butter and pasta dish with frozen veggies, boom the week is done. You could rotate your protein choice and do this with ground turkey, or quinoa/lentil mixture, pork roast, etc.......

It took me a long time to learn to meal plan, so don't feel bad.
mcknitro
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:32 PM
I'm a single mom too. I've made meals or prepped the weekend before. Also I plan on making 1 or 2 big meals during the week and then just heat up leftovers over the week. A crock pot can also be your friend:). I often work 45 -55 hours a week. I know what you mean about being tired.
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:50 PM

3 courses every night is asking a lot some nights. Relax about it and don't stress.

Make friends with your crock pot. Even in the summer months, it's a great kitchen tool. We make buffalo chicken sandwiches, french dip sandwiches, bbq beef sandwiches, chicken tacos....all kinds of "hot weather food" in the crock pot.

Also, plan. Like Marti said - do some cooking ahead. If your family eats a whole roast in 1 meal, cook 2 at a time. Use the other for something else. Make extra and turn it into a brand new dish. Also, we use a lot of frozen veggies that we can just stick in the microwave. Or, we will use fresh veggies and just steam them. Basically requires no work. I make a big salad over the weekend - right when I get home from the store - and then you have an instant healthy side dish whenever you're ready for it.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Mar. 2, 2014 at 12:13 PM
We don't ever do 3 course meals. Just the main dish. And I don't get me time. :-)
fizzgig4
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:13 AM
I hear ya! I'm a single mom and work 1 full time job and 1 part time job and take classes with 15 hours of homework a week. Sometimes I cook and sometimes I don't. If it were up to my daughter we would have waffles and green beans at every meal.
Mommy2Boys0900
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:01 AM
I'm a single mom also. I have 2 boys, 13 & 5. My teen eats like a man (my little one, like a bird). I work full time also. I only cook about 3 to 4 times a week. We have leftovers some nights. As for me time, I haven't had that since the late 90's :-) I miss it
Cjam
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I feel your pain. I too am a single mom who finds it difficult to manage the time I have.  I don't cook 3 course meals every night, "Aint nobody got time for that!!!" LOL  I try to cook a few meals usually on the weekend that will last throughout the week and when that doesn't work I just make frozen meal or make quick and easy ones while helping with homework.  Sometimes you just have to let some things slide. For example my house is a mess but I will get around to cleaning it eventually.  Take a deep breath, say a little pray and do what is a priority and everything else will fall into place eventually.  It's difficult but try not to stress about it and do what you can.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I gave up me time.  DH helps a lot, but I still get home, cook, clean, play, do bathtime, put her to bed.  Sleep is also a distant memory, since she STILL doesn't sleep through.

BoopBettyBoop
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Its hard to manage everything that a woman has to get done in a day.  I work full time and some nights we are lucky we eat any kind of nutritional meal.  We have had breakfast for dinner sometimes.  I usually cook may 3 - 4 times a week, but enough that we can use it for leftovers another night.  Sometimes my 13yo dd will cook which helps me with being tired when I get home.  Somehow it all seems to work out.  Isn't there a saying that "sleep is overrated, we will sleep when we are dead"?  Sometimes it feels like that, especially if you have little ones.  I remember those days, my youngest is now 10, but there are those days.  I know its hard but maybe try and have a 1/2 hour of "me" time, run a bubble bath and try and enjoy it.

lazyd
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I have NEVER cooked 3 course meals at night!  LOL!  If i had the money i would eat every meal out cuz i hate to cook!  But the crock pot is our friend.  You can throw anything in there.  Roast, beef stew, chicken, pork, veggies, chili.  Cook only a couple of times a week and the rest is leftovers or simpler things like spaghetti or sandwiches.  You dont have to have a protein every night or veggies every night - it is ok!!  Even breakfast for dinner is a big hit - like waffles or pancakes or eggs.  How old is your son?  Can he bathe himself?  

There is no such thing as meee time anymore!  LOL!  :)  Or sleep!  Those are overrated and a thing of the past!  DON'T think that you need to do it all!!  If you don't have a second job or do schooling at night, than make a to do list and do only one thing a day and cross it off, so you know you have accomplished something.  It's ok, not to do it all in one day.  Go to bed right after your son does - it is ok to go to bed early every once in a while!  Watch one show a night - so you did something for yourself or read a book, so you have quiet time and time to relax.  I know life is hard, but the kids leave us soon enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)