Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Working while pregnant

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM
  • 20 Replies

found out last nite that baby #4 is on the way, my due date looks to be november 6th. i am the manager of a gas station and wasn't working yet when i was pregnant with my other little ones. just wondering when i should let my boss know that i'm pregnant and how it'll be working as my belly gets bigger.

since this will be my fourth i already know whats up as far as being pregnant and having the baby and all that but will working effect me too much? i work extremely hard and am on my feet a lot, just wondering how it'll be when i get bigger will i still be able to work? 

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Unless you have a medical consideration what is the point of letting them know too early ? 30 days before your due date put in for your leave of absence. If during your pregnancy your provider makes lifting or standing or length of workday restrictions then you send a drs note. many women can work right up to delivery while a few others need some accommodations or adjustment to their work schedule
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:43 PM
I always let my managers know around 18 to 20 weeks. That's when dr appts pick up, you start to show and are past the miscarriage high risk zone. I never had bad first trimester other than fatigue though so no reason. If it's going to be obvious or you will need some time due to sickness, I would tell them earlier
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:44 PM
And I worked up to the day before with both pregnancies. You learn to work around it.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:46 PM

My employers figured it out with the first one because I vomited all day, every day from 8 weeks to around 30.

this last pregnancy was a shock, so I just pretended I wasn't pregnant until a co-worker said, "I am sorry, but are you pregnant, at like 18 weeks, because I had a serious bump difficult to hide. 

i too worked up until delivery. I did not life, but I was very active, taking stairs and such.

paknari
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:53 PM
I was managing a gas station with my last . I had my own office so I would take frequent breaks and I ran the register instead of doing the really heavy lifting. I worked until the day before my dd was born. (I induced)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paknari
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
30 days?! I'm glad you aren't my employee.

Quoting calsmom62: Unless you have a medical consideration what is the point of letting them know too early ? 30 days before your due date put in for your leave of absence. If during your pregnancy your provider makes lifting or standing or length of workday restrictions then you send a drs note. many women can work right up to delivery while a few others need some accommodations or adjustment to their work schedule
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:04 AM
its reasonable to give a months notice for a retail position . Fmla , if she qualifies , requires only reasonable notice.

Quoting paknari: 30 days?! I'm glad you aren't my employee.

Quoting calsmom62: Unless you have a medical consideration what is the point of letting them know too early ? 30 days before your due date put in for your leave of absence. If during your pregnancy your provider makes lifting or standing or length of workday restrictions then you send a drs note. many women can work right up to delivery while a few others need some accommodations or adjustment to their work schedule
paknari
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:09 AM
I think it is irresponsible to not let your employer know in advance when you know for 9 months. She is a manager not just a retail clerk. It would be better if she were able to train her replacement especially if she plans on coming back. If you gave me only a month I would give you the very least that I could and hole that you eventually quit. It is not like she is going to be out because of a sudden death. There is no reason why she can't let her employer know at least a few months in advance so that they can have a temporary replacement ready.

Quoting calsmom62: its reasonable to give a months notice for a retail position . Fmla , if she qualifies , requires only reasonable notice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:17 AM
certainly if she is a mgr it would be courtesy to help train a replacement and give more notice. there are also drawbacks to notifying earlier than necessary- greater exposure to potential pregnancy discrimination esp if she is not FMLA protected

Quoting paknari: I think it is irresponsible to not let your employer know in advance when you know for 9 months. She is a manager not just a retail clerk. It would be better if she were able to train her replacement especially if she plans on coming back. If you gave me only a month I would give you the very least that I could and hole that you eventually quit. It is not like she is going to be out because of a sudden death. There is no reason why she can't let her employer know at least a few months in advance so that they can have a temporary replacement ready.

Quoting calsmom62: its reasonable to give a months notice for a retail position . Fmla , if she qualifies , requires only reasonable notice.

paknari
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM
I have never experience that so I can't say that it can or can not happen. Both of my pregnancies were announced early and I was a manager for both of them. The Fmla is a federal law so if she is in the US she is protected. I have however heard of discrimination from people who do things like give very little notice and honestly, I would probably find a way to get rid of them also. I have always been on good terms with my supervisor and a lot of people have lost that respect.

Quoting calsmom62: certainly if she is a mgr it would be courtesy to help train a replacement and give more notice. there are also drawbacks to notifying earlier than necessary- greater exposure to potential pregnancy discrimination esp if she is not FMLA protected

Quoting paknari: I think it is irresponsible to not let your employer know in advance when you know for 9 months. She is a manager not just a retail clerk. It would be better if she were able to train her replacement especially if she plans on coming back. If you gave me only a month I would give you the very least that I could and hole that you eventually quit. It is not like she is going to be out because of a sudden death. There is no reason why she can't let her employer know at least a few months in advance so that they can have a temporary replacement ready.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)