Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Chrysler Town & Country vs. Dodge Grand Caravan?!

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 4:42 AM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: Which would you buy (or which have you bought)???

Options:

Chrysler Town & Country

Dodge Grand Caravan

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

So DH and I have 2 paid for '04 vehicles that run ok given that they are now 10 years old (my how time flies!). Well neither of us really want to have to deal with a car note again, but at the same time I think it's safe to say that we will both probably cave before the end of the year and buy something a LOT more updated. We have 3 boys, ages 2, 4 & almost 7 so we have three vehicles: DH has his motorcycle that he rides to school and work, we have a Mercury Grand Marquis (yuck, his idea. Almost 92,000 miles on it now) that I normally use during the week to take the boys back and forth to daycare & myself to work because it uses less gas than our Ford Explorer, which mostly only gets used on weekends when we go out as a family or during large grocery trips or biweekly Walmart hauls. It has like 188,000 miles or so on it. Bought it for $7000 cash a few years ago..we just really needed a 2nd vehicle ASAP without the car note.

I have been trying and trying to get DH on board with me on the minivan thing, but until now, he refused because "minivans are lame, and I have a penis" (WTH?! **rolls eyes**). I figured they were the most logical choice given the size of our family, both number-wise, but also our literal, PHYSICAL sizes. Not to mention being the better choice from a financial aspect since we can get a practically brand new minivan for pretty much half the cost of some 'big baller' SUV since car manufacturers are more than aware of which market/demographic they are mostly catering to. Well we JUST got back home yesterday from a cruise during Spring Break, and we had to rent a minivan to drive all 5 of us, plus my sister-in-law AND all 6 people's luggage to the LA port. We were given a 2014 Chrysler Town & Country Touring with not even 1,000 miles on it, and DH fell in LOVE!!!!! Yaaaay! Lol (That was my evil plan all along). So now I'm researching the best ones out there right now, and from what I'm seeing, Dodge and Chrysler seem to be the best choices right now. Seems like the Caravan is definitely GOOD and fairly cheaper than the Town & Country, but if you want almost literally the same performance as the Dodge, plus several luxury perks (which I do!), then the Town & Country is my best bet.

What do you ladies think? I have been mourning the "loss" of that van (returning the rental) since I handed over the keys this morning. I NEED that van in my life, it was perfect! Lol! Once we do go ahead and buy one, the minivan will DEFINITELY become my vehicle of choice during the work week, replacing the Explorer, since its just a much more comfy, spacious ride, and that old man Grand Marquis will be our "Hey I'm running to the store real quick" car, or used by DH for his daily commute if it's raining or something. Just wondering if anyone thinks the Dodge Grand Caravan is actually the better choice afterall? TIA!

by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 4:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 7:26 AM
we have gone through two grand caravans. love them but the models both had similar quirks. electrical issues. rust in the strut mounts. but total workhorses for the investments and got close to 200k miles in both
Now I have a traverse which ironically I fell in love with after renting one for a vacation. The T&c is an upscale model of the grand caravan but to me not worth it for what you get.
twinplus2
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM

We went with the T&C years back because it was on sale and fully loaded with leather seats, dvd player etc. It is fine and we hope to keep it many more years. I prefer the sliding doors on a van to SUV doors.

Mrs.Woodard
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Now that I think about it, you're right about the sliding doors on them vs. doors that swing open! I had WAY less issues with parking spaces in the minivan compared to our other cars because the doors slid open. I actually found LOTS of 2013 models with anywhere from 1000 to only about 17000 miles on them on Enterprise's car sales website. Turns out, contrary to MY assumption, they don't sell their vehicles because they have 800,000 miles on them after being rented. They just always keep the newest years in their inventory to rent from, so once a 2013 model passes into 2014, they just sell it. They have a LOT of 2013 T & Cs for only about $20,000!!!

Y

Rlmama00
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I had an '04 Chrysler Town & Country. It had some cool perks, but I am just not a minivan girl. 

BoopBettyBoop
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

We looked at the Town & Country, Caravan and KIA Sedona.  We went with the Sedona, we got better offers from them but I really love my Sedona!

Mrs.Woodard
by New Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:36 PM
2 moms liked this

This post is pretty old now, but I had to share anyway.....DH bought us the Town & Country this past weekend!! I just couldn't wait anymore!! I am in LOOOOOOVE!!! Lol! It is so sleek and high tech, and just perfect for us in every way!!! I'm coming for my Altima next!!!!rolling on floor

CLEKate
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:46 AM

I had a T&C.  Got rid of it at 75,000 miles (just shy of 5 year mark.)  I was on my 3rd round of brakes.  And 3rd round of tires.  In 2013 alone, I put in close to $2000 in repairs--and it still needed more.

My friend has a T&C and has said the same exact thing.  She's on her 2nd set of brakes in a year--she only put 20,000 miles on her car in a year.

I dropped the T&C and got a less loaded Honda Odyssey.  If you can afford it, I recommend that you do the same.

(I have no issue with maintenance costs; however they were excessive on the T&C--and it all happened after the warrenty expired.  Chrysler admitted through a recall that the brakes were shit...but they would only replace them once and they still went bad quickly the 2nd time.)

kceron
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I've had both and I love both.  I had an 08 Town and Country (which I totalled after having for 6 months...)  I loved it!  I love love love the stow and go seating!  Now I have an 11 Grand Caravan Mainstreet which is awesome.  I love the captains seats in the middle that fold flat into the floor (my other van didn't do that) and I also love that the side windows roll down.  

When I had the accident we had rented an awesome Denali, I loved it but there was no space!  I love that I can stick stuff under the floor in the van and it doesn't get in the way plus that deep pocket in the back of the van is awesome for grocery day.  

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I like my T&C.  It is ten years old, we got it used three years ago, and the only issue we have had to take it to a mechanic for is the transmission control module spazzing out and locking it in second gear, which for a vehicle that age that has over 200,000 miles on it is pretty good.  

iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:13 PM

You see a lot more Grand Caravans on the used lot than T&C. I'm not a minvan kinda girl, but if I was going to go with one, it would probably be the Honda. They just seem to hold up well--from the people I've known that's driven them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)