Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How Did You Get Your Child Ready for Kindergarten (While Working?)

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:47 AM
  • 9 Replies

I posted this in "Toddlers and Preschoolers" but it seems like mostly SAHMs replied. While their ideas would probably work, I am unable to structure a school environment at home while working. So here I will ask, again:

How did you get your preschooler ready for kindergarten?

I had my 4 year old in a daycare from ages 1 until 3. Due to financial reasons I had to take her out and have my aunt watch her while I'm working instead. School starts in six months for my daughter and my grandmother is freaking out that she does not know all of her letters and numbers by sight (she only knows 11 of them by sight) and cannot write her name. (She does know her shapes, colors, how to make and recognize what comes next in a pattern, and other small things like that.)

I try having her watch the LeapFrog movies and Monster Math. We do flashcards at least once a day to try to teach her what the letters look like. I attempt to have her trace her name, but she has no interest and instead draws pictures (usually an octopus). I'm not sure what else I can do. because I cannot mimick a typical school environment while I'm working, and especially not with a newborn due in four weeks.

How did you get your preschooler ready for kindergarten?

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM
First, will your aunt do learning activities with her if you provide instructions?
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Oh and one more thing, what hours and days are you with her?
HeartofGold
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

They are not expected to know all the letters, numbers and shapes by kindergarten. That is part of the curriculum when they get in school. I would not stress yourself over making sure she knows each and every one.

Just spend time when you can to teach her things. Buy some flash cards. Print out coloring pages that have objects that start with the particular letters and numbers. When you read to her point to the words as you're reading and sound out the letters.

KREX0914
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I've bought flashcards and alphabet tracing books and things like that, but my aunt doesn't do them with her when I'm gone.
I'm with her after 5 p.m. and on the weekends. 

Quoting Marti123: Oh and one more thing, what hours and days are you with her?

Mygirl30248
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Reading! My daughter loves books & at 6yo first year of K just began to read on her own so proud of her. But it wasn't only me she just loves books so that may not be for your daughter. 

V Reader was great as well my daughter loved that & it's geared towards reading. It's I want to say around $50 for the V Reader then you pay for the games but it was great. 

Ummm not sure of much more at the moment as it was so easy for my daughter she just loves reading & loves to learn but I'll think of some things & come back to ya!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:11 PM
I was fortunate to have my boys in a great pre-school, but I will share what we do to reinforce:

1) homework time is after dinner, and "oh it is such a magical fun time" lol, we try to make it sound really really fun. We practice writing our name and the letter of the week. We pick different writing colors and pens/pencils/markers. They get mom and/or Dad's undivided attention. Set a timer for 15 minutes. Write her name, then just have her practice.

2) bed-time is 2-3 books, we practice predicting, finding letters, and story comprehension.

3) dinner time is counting time, count food plates, add, subtract.

4) week-ends we do more learning activities with art, writing, etc.

Also, we supposedly have pretty good schools, and they continued working on all the things you mention in KG, their name, their letters, etc. my DS was pretty far ahead, he's had a fun year, but not an immense amount of new content.

The school should be able to give you some good ideas as well.
ljmom24
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM
My 5 year old started kindergarten this fall with no preschool. The cost didn't justify it. We sent my oldest and it was glorified baby sitting. Yes he learned his numbers and letters but then spent first part of kindy doing the same and getting bored and it wasn't good for his ADHD. The real sign it was a waste was when we had to address his speech issue with them and we were told oh we aren't qualified to say anything even if we notice developmental issues. So how can you prep for kindergarten and what I paying you $400 a week for?

Anyway second time around I skipped it. We did flash cards at home letters and numbers. I didn't work on writing because I have bad carpal tunnel. He did pass his kindergarten testing and we got some things to work on over the summer but he pretty much started from square 1 and he as of last report card he has mastered or is emerging in all his subjects.
momma2mkgirls
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

As a teacher, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep going over things as you are doing things with her. Like at dinner what color are the peas. Truthfully haven't done a whole lot with my almost 4 and 2 year old. I have to admit they watched alot of tv like disney jr. or nick jr. My 2 year can recognize letters and numbers but I never drilled her on it. Just make it part of conversation when you are reading to her. When you are driving around. Things like that and don't worry too much. 

JustOneMe
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the other postings. 

We loved LeapFrog Letter Factory video.  They also have a LeapFrog Letter Factory toy.  It is only around $20 and they have it at Toys R Us and Walmart and probably other stores as well.  Those two items helped my daughter learn her letters and letter sounds fast.  There is also Sesame Street and other children's television that helps with learning those things.  Maybe your aunt could have her watch it during the day if she is not willing to do other structured learning activities.  But mostly just try and work it into everyday life when you can.  Talk about what letter her name starts with and what sound it makes.  Talk about dinner and what letter her mashed potatoes starts with, etc.  When it is time for dessert and she is getting two cookies say if you have one cookie and I give you one more cookie how many cookies do you have.  Try and make it fun and present everything as a game.  You can have a placemat with the alphabet on it and ask her to find a particular letter or hang a chart on the wall.  Letter magnets on the frig that she plays with help expose her to each letter.  I think the LeapFrog Letter Factory toy has magnetic letters. Sing the alphabet song or find a children's CD that has letter songs on it. Read to her as much as you can.  That will help with her language development.  In addition to academic skills try and prepare her socially as well with a playdate on the weekend or some sort of lessons like dance or swim if you can.  Don't worry if she does not know everything before she starts. She will be learning it in kindergarten as well.  Enjoy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN