Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Daycare visit......

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:19 AM
  • 11 Replies
So I took my nearing 6 month old to her daycare room to hang out today because she starts next week.

I am starting to feel guilty again. The babies cry so much, the girls do the best they can, but there are only 2 of them and 6 babies. The baby DD's age was sick with yellow green snot coming out of nose chewing on all the toys. Ugh, I'm not ready for DD to be that sick, but I guess it is inevitable.

We exhausted the nanny interviewing route and this is safer with a more structured environment, which is what I wanted, there is NO turning back. But it still makes feel sick to my stomach knowing I will be leaving her there.

Being that this is my 3rd child at this daycare/school, I thought I would be adjusting better.
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry.  I hope you get some mental relief.  Since it's your 3rd, at least you know what ot be on the lookout for as far as untenable situations.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Hugs!! We have been introducing RJ to daycare as well, but it's an in home daycare so there are 6 kids max and they vary in age. And his big brother is right there to report back to us :-) He's gone 3 times. The first two times went really smooth but apparently yesterday he looked like a mental patient when DH went to pick him up. I've never seen his hair so frizzed out. I felt sorry for both the dcp and him. And she only had 4 kids that day (4 yo, 2 1/2 yo, 18 mo old and RJ). I can't imagine having all infants!
krystalrene
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Doesn't sound like a very good daycare to me...I would look for a different one, there are always other options out there.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:01 PM

What do you think makes a very good daycare?

Babies cry, noses run, germs happen. I have looked at A LOT of daycares, in home, franchised centers and emailed and talked to 30+ nannies. It will be ok, change is hard.

Quoting krystalrene:

Doesn't sound like a very good daycare to me...I would look for a different one, there are always other options out there.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I agree. Kids are going to get bruises and runny noses and colds.....There's only so much a DCP can do to prevent that. Shoot! Even if the kids all stayed home with you, someone would be bound to get something at some point! Not entirely the DCP's fault!

I'm sorry you're struggling with it. Hopefully baby Mae will adjust just fine and be happy as a lark :)

Quoting Marti123:

Babies cry, noses run, germs happen. I have looked at A LOT of daycares, in home, franchised centers and emailed and talked to 30+ nannies. It will be ok, change is hard.

Quoting krystalrene:

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Its never easy to first start the babies in day care. hope your baby charms the sox off the baby room ladies, and that he is loved and cuddled and has fun with all the other baby friends!!
krystalrene
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:40 PM

That' true, and I agree. I just personally think that 6 babies might be too much even for 2 people. And I wouldn't allow kids (even my own) to put toys in their mouth... but to each their own.

Good luck!

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Yeah, I agree. Kids are going to get bruises and runny noses and colds.....There's only so much a DCP can do to prevent that. Shoot! Even if the kids all stayed home with you, someone would be bound to get something at some point! Not entirely the DCP's fault!

I'm sorry you're struggling with it. Hopefully baby Mae will adjust just fine and be happy as a lark :)

Quoting Marti123:

Quoting krystalrene:

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:56 PM

How did you prevent your children from putting things in their mouth? That is amazing, since it is a healthy developmental skill for an infant? Did they have oral sensory aversions? --edit to say, I don't mean to sound rude, it's just my 2nd born did not put things in his mouth because he had sensory issues, our OT's who worked with him, told us that baby's should be "mouthing" their environment, he never really did that.  But my two typical kiddos do. 

the state allowed ratio is 3:1 for infants, any daycare except a few homebased tiny ones follow this rule in Kansas.

Quoting krystalrene:

That' true, and I agree. I just personally think that 6 babies might be too much even for 2 people. And I wouldn't allow kids (even my own) to put toys in their mouth... but to each their own.

Good luck!

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Quoting Marti123:

Quoting krystalrene:

krystalrene
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Of course babies put things in their mouths, but when it's toys I always try to take it away because they're not the cleanest things..From the original post I thought it was an older child putting a toy in her mouth. Once they're about 2 or so they should understand that toys don't go in the mouth.

And I'm aware of the state regulations and everything, but most of the daycares I've visited even say they don't like to have more than a few kids per person. My state (CA) allows 8 per person I think! 8 babies to one person is crazy in my opinion. I currently babysit a 3 year old boy (and I have 4 kids of my own). I would not want to babysit more than one or two that are still "babies".

Quoting Marti123:

How did you prevent your children from putting things in their mouth? That is amazing, since it is a healthy developmental skill for an infant? Did they have oral sensory aversions? --edit to say, I don't mean to sound rude, it's just my 2nd born did not put things in his mouth because he had sensory issues, our OT's who worked with him, told us that baby's should be "mouthing" their environment, he never really did that.  But my two typical kiddos do. 

the state allowed ratio is 3:1 for infants, any daycare except a few homebased tiny ones follow this rule in Kansas.

Quoting krystalrene:

Good luck!

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Quoting Marti123:

Quoting krystalrene:

sonnyswoman75
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Its always hard to leave our babies with someone else
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN