Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Well that's definitely not allergies...

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM
  • 7 Replies

Monday I noticed that Jackson's ears were red but he'd just gotten up from his nap so I figured he slept with his hands over his ears again. Yesterday his ears cleared up but then his cheeks turned red and then his arms started itching so I thought maybe it was allergies since mold is really high lately. This morning his teacher called about his cheeks. I told her I thought it was allergies and the school nurse agreed with me. That was until his temp started creeping up. My mil ended up picking him up early and took him to the Dr. Come to find out he has Fifth Disease. That's a new one to me. I guess he's past the point of being contagious but it sounds like he'll be covered in a rash for a week or so. Poor guy seems to have caught everything from school so far.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
BoopBettyBoop
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM

What is Fifth Disease?

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Found this info on http://www.fifthdisease.org

Fifth disease is caused by a virus called parvovirus B19. It commonly infects children and typically causes a mild rash that may resemble a “slapped-cheek”. Other symptoms that can occur include joint pain (arthralgia), fever and general flu-like symptoms. This disease does not have any lasting effects in healthy children and adults. However if contracted when pregnant or immuno-compromised (a weak immune system), complications may arise. Transmission of fifth disease from the mother to baby can have serious implications to the health of the baby. Fifth disease can cause fetal anemia, which if undetected can have severe consequences.

Many people with fifths disease show no symptoms at all. Therefore, the only way to definitively diagnose it is to have a test. Approximately 50-60% of adults have had the disease and are immune. However, those who are not immune may be at risk from picking up this infection, particularly healthcare providers, childcare providers and teachers.

In some cases, however, where symptoms are not evident; a blood test must be carried out. When your sample of blood arrives in the laboratory, testing is carried out for specific antibodies that your body produces in response to fifth disease.
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Awww. Poor kiddo!
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:48 PM
His teacher emailed me to see how Jackson was doing. After I told her the diagnosis she wrote back that she's familiar with it but had never seen a kiddo have quite the reaction Jackson did. Gotta love sensitive skin.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Awww, hate all these germs, hope it clears up soon!

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:56 PM
I've never even heard of this illness. Hope he feels better soon.
sonnyswoman75
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Poor thing :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)