Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grad school?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM
  • 3 Replies
I'm writing to ask if anyone has any experience they would like to share about going back to school while raising a family. Any advice on how you made it work? Challenges you faced? I'm so thankful for anything you would be willing to share with a prospective student. Thank you!
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lisahappymom
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you going to school at a campus or online?  If it's online, you can do school work after your kids have gone to bed.  If you're going to school at a campus, you will have to consider childcare arrangements. 

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!!!  Getting the education you desire will help you to be a more fulfilled parent!    :-)

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Much advice depends on your college, your degree and field of study. Some colleges & degrees require more work than others. I teach in a pretty intense graduate program and here's my advice:

1) De-clutter your life, meaning live as simple as you possibly can. It's not time to volunteer for PTO, become a cub Scout leader, get a divorce, declare bankruptcy, get pregnant, change to a more stressful job, move, get married, etc. I realize things happen, but don't do it intentionally.

2) Get friend and family support lined up, your partner, your children need to fully be on board, helping with chores and understand that temporarily time with you will be sacrificed. Grad school is very hard on marriage, IMO, I have seen multiple students divorce after my program. 

3) get your finances in order, don't get a degree if you are struggling financially. And have a plan on how you will pay for a degree and what you want to do with the degree.

4) Slow may be fast, meaning that if you have children and are working, a slower part time plan of study is most likely a quicker way to actually graduate, THAN a full-time faster plan of study, where you fail classes because you are trying to do too much.

5) find a study group, people that score higher than you if possible

6) if you are struggling in classes, talk to the professor, believe it or not, it really is frowned upon if students fail, so majority of teachers want students to succeed for many reasons.

good luck! 

Lbeck2712
by New Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:51 AM
Thank you for your advice! Very good information!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)