Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Work from home benefit discontinued

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM
  • 10 Replies

Our IT department has been allowing people to work from home up to two days a week (connected to our network on our laptop) for several years.  We work the same full day at home as we do at the office, but there are several benefits like being able to sleep later and not have to dress up and drive in to the office.  When I am done for the day I am already home and I can get a lot more done in the evenings, especially with kids activities and such.  Also it helps when we have doctor's appointments and the like because I am already out of the office on those days so it is just more convenient.  Unfortunately we just found out that starting in May it will no longer be allowed.  I have been enjoying this benefit for several years, and it was one of the positive things we had when so many other things are going downhill (we had a major floor remodel where they took away our cubicles in favor of a more open floor plan where we have 5 feet of desk space and are basically in a big room with the rest of our team members).  I have been with my company for almost 16 years and I am the only one working in my household so unfortunately I don't have the luxury of looking elsewhere so I just have to suck it up.  They say it is for security reasons (they are basically overreacting to other major breeches in the news lately and have already made it harder for us to connect from home) and also because not everyone in the company can do it so it isn't fair that we can.  As far as I know it is not because people have been abusing it.  The rules were pretty reasonable and it has always been up to the individual managers to monitor performance and address any issues as necessary.  I just feel that a lot of other companies offer this benefit and it can be part of a competitive compensation package but apparently our management does not agree.  Not really looking for advice but just wanting to vent because I am ticked off and there is nothing I can do about it.  

by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I can understand the issue you are having.  What field is this?  Is there potential for security breeches?  Would it damage the business if someone was careless with the information at their home?  I could understand the company wanting to protect itself, but the benefit of working at home is something many employees look for.

mandalyn74
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I work in IT so I do understand but it is still frustrating.  Yes the potential exists but I feel we have plenty of safeguards in place and the risk is minimal.  

Quoting deccaf:

I can understand the issue you are having.  What field is this?  Is there potential for security breeches?  Would it damage the business if someone was careless with the information at their home?  I could understand the company wanting to protect itself, but the benefit of working at home is something many employees look for.

Megan11587
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:50 AM
That stinks, I'm sorry to hear that
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I can completely relate and I'm sorry they're pulling this awesome benefit from you.  :(

I've been telecommuting for 6 1/2 years full time, for two different companies.  I never go into the office - and about 80% of the employees telecommute as well.  When I was looking to leave my old job, I was a finalist for another one and they absolutely refused to even consider telecommuting.  They said I could do it for 6 months while I sold my house and moved, but that was it.  I turned them down and kept interviewing.  Now, my new job that I've been with for 5 months has full telecommuting.  Fortunately, there's no way they'll ever get rid of it, as they truly see the value in hiring for talent - regardless of location.  I'd be searching for a new job (while keeping my old one of course) if they ever changed their mind.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:57 PM

that's a huge bummer! My company doesn't really allow telecommuting (a few people work out of their homes, but travel a LOT so they wouldn't be in the office anyway) and they only allow certain people to even have laptops to take home for after-hours work. it's kind of frustrating because all of us have reason to stay home and work once in a blue moon. I had the flu last year during my busiest time of the month (accounting, month end) and literally couldn't make it into the office, so they had to waste time putting all my programs on a laptop for me to take home and then troubleshoot the dickens out of it when I GOT home and tried to work and couldn't get connected. So much of my work I can't do from home without boxes of paper (ahhh, what's a paperless office? not in my department!) but again, emergencies happen and when it's not even an option, it really blows. You'd think with technological advancements and overhead costs going up, more companies would be allowing desk sharing to save money.....oh and the whole no-cubes. they've done NUMEROUS studies that show how UNPRODUCTIVE offices are that have that setup, how distracting they are in reality. I have a HUGE cube and we still have a team atmosphere, no love lost in not being able to see all my coworkers all the time!

twinplus2
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Does the new policy also mean that you can no longer work from home when extra hours are needed? If so, that could really lower productivity as many salaried workers will put in at least 40 hours onsite and then 5 to 10 hours per week offsite as needed.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:36 PM

That is a real bummer! I work from home quite a bit for my teaching job. I can honestly say if they took away the perk, I am unsure I would continue working for them. But I have more flexibility. I am sorry, you have "golden handcuffs" locking you to this one job. 

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:28 PM

That stinks! I agree that having the telecommuting option is a great benefit to a job and a good way to entice talented individuals so it stinks that they are doing away with it.

My company won't allow it.  It's a bit silly really because they complain about our lack of space, but most jobs here can be done from home or from anywhere and I work in media so you would think that they would be more progressive and allow it.  However, we have old school HR who doesn't like the idea and it's a turn off. When I got into an accident at the beginning of the year, I was out for 8 weeks - these are 8 weeks I very well could've done from home and when I returned my doctor urged them to allow me to work from home 2 days a week because I hurt 6 discs in my back but they said the most they accomodate me is 2 weeks.  It really sucks that companies can't seem to wrap their hands around the benefits of allowing employees to work from home.

sakpoints
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:45 PM
That stinks! We have that perk too but we have some in upper management that hate it and others love it. We have some positions that are full time WFH. Our saving grace is we don't have enough office space to bring everyone back in.
mandalyn74
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:16 AM

To answer some questions, we are still allowed to work from home on a case by case basis, like if we are sick, snow days, have repair people coming to the house, or if we have to work extra.  It is only the planned, scheduled full day working from home two days every week that has been shut down.  And this is not even what I would consider telecommuting.  To me that means people who don't even live local to the office and work from home full time and don't technically have an office to come in to.  We don't have anyone that does that, we primarily work at the office but it was just a nice thing they did to let us stay home a couple days a week and not have to come in.

Quoting twinplus2:

Does the new policy also mean that you can no longer work from home when extra hours are needed? If so, that could really lower productivity as many salaried workers will put in at least 40 hours onsite and then 5 to 10 hours per week offsite as needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)