Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

This is getting old!

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:20 PM
  • 13 Replies

DD is prone to ear infections.  At 6 months, she had tubes put in.  We nearly had another set put in last August.  She has been ear infection free since then.  I cleaned her ears last night and noticed a bloody looking ear wax discharge.  So in to the dr today.  I hope this isn't starting again.  Last week, we were in for a yeast infection, now a potential ear infection.

What is your biggest aggravation when it comes to the health of your kids?

by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Fortunately, now that they're older I really have no health concerns with any of them.

When they were younger, it was primarily my middle son who gave us early grey hair.  At about 8 weeks old he just stopped breathing.  Got him breathing, but his O2 was really low.  Anyway, after countless ER visits and one that ended up transporting us via ambulance to a larger hospital we learned that he was a brittle asthmatic - brittle because he would be 100% perfect one second (like when we were at the Dr. for a checkup) and near death the next (like 5 minutes after the Dr. when we were driving home and ended up at the ER instead).  It was just so FAST.  He was on so many drugs for daily and rescue, and it took them far too long to realize that the standard rescue med (Albuterol) had no effect.  They didn't believe me until they saw it for themselves. 

On top of all that, he also had constant ear infections and had tubes put in 3 times.  :(

But...he's 10 years old now.  I weaned him off of his daily meds for his asthma when he was 7/8.  He hasn't needed his rescue inhaler since he was around 7.  Ears are looking good, too.

Now, WE can breathe easier because all of our kids are healthy :)

dawncs
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I hope Steph feels better soon! I know being sick is not fun in life! I know she would rather have fun playing or learning about the world.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I think somehow we lucked out and have the healthiest kids on the planet. DS8 hasn't been sick in a year and a half, and that was when the stomach flu was going around not only school but also church and everywhere else. The older kids are also quite healthy - we have more sports injuries than health-related/illness type issues.

I will say, though, that when SD was younger, she would come back from her week at BM's house with a runny nose and red puffy eyes. Every. Single. Time. So, we'd spend the whole weekend getting her healthy. Or, if we had plans (going to grandma's?) we'd take a sick kid along. It was 2-3 years that way. Horrible. I think we finally decided that she was allergic to the dog or cat (can't remember). Because once she was away from the animal for a while and got all animal residue off her hands, clothes, hair, etc....she was fine. Like, she'd come over Friday night sick like this, and be pretty much fine on Sunday morning. It just seemed like too quick of a turnaround for a cold.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Oh goodness, I hope she's better and I hope it's just a fluke! I had lots of ear infections as a kid, I'm so glad I haven't had to deal with that with my daughter. I've known others who have and it's so sad because it's so painful :(

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
The good need is its a mild ear infection. More like swimmers ear. A week of drops on her ear, no antibiotic pills!
WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I hope she feels better soon too! Mine is my daughter's cough. Since she was around 2 months she gets this nagging cough that can last up to two weeks. But when I get sick I get a nagging cough too.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Eeek!  I hope it's not an ear infection.

For us with DD, it's ear infections but not to the point where she needed tubes put in and allergies.  She gets seasonal allergies so she has to be on meds every day until it clears up.  It's annoying.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:32 PM

It is a minor ear infection.  More like swimmers ear, but she hasn't been swimming or even putting her head under in the bath (she hates that!).  Nothing major, thank goodness!

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

For us with DD, it's ear infections but not to the point where she needed tubes put in and allergies.  She gets seasonal allergies so she has to be on meds every day until it clears up.  It's annoying.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Good thing!

Almost every time DD gets a cold, she ends up with an ear infection and they are usually minor.  It's such an annoyance!

Quoting deccaf:

It is a minor ear infection.  More like swimmers ear, but she hasn't been swimming or even putting her head under in the bath (she hates that!).  Nothing major, thank goodness!

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Yes! Every time she has a cold!  But they are usually not minor!

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Good thing!

Almost every time DD gets a cold, she ends up with an ear infection and they are usually minor.  It's such an annoyance!

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)