Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Moms in Academia

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:12 AM
  • 3 Replies
I plan to start grad school to pursue my PhD in the fall. I was selected for an assistantship so now the dept chair wants me to come visit the campus so that I can meet with him and the chair of the graduate committee. However, I'm currently 27 weeks pregnant, due in July. Do you think they will have a problem with me being pregnant? I feel like I need to hide it, so that it won't even be an issue. I don't want them to immediately think I won't be capable or that I might be unreliable because I'm a mom. My husband doesn't understand why I think it would be an issue.
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:49 PM
How many kids do you have? Is this your first? How long between when you start and the due date?

I started a new job with both pregnancies at about 20 weeks. However I told them within the first 3 weeks after I started.

As long as you have a plan set up for your kid for when you start, I wouldn't say anything. But that's me. I see it as personal information that is only important in how it will impact your job
creoletexan
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks!!

This is my 2nd. I'm due in July, but I would start school until late August.

I just don't want to get passed up for any opportunities for next year because in currently pregnant.

Quoting Nighttiger: How many kids do you have? Is this your first? How long between when you start and the due date?

I started a new job with both pregnancies at about 20 weeks. However I told them within the first 3 weeks after I started.

As long as you have a plan set up for your kid for when you start, I wouldn't say anything. But that's me. I see it as personal information that is only important in how it will impact your job
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Will pursuing your PhD be your only responsibility besides motherhood at this time? What field is this in? Do you work in academia now?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN