Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

maternity leave etiquette

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM
  • 31 Replies
My doctor said he would write me a note to quit working at 37 weeks. My employer thinks I'm going to work until I deliver. 37 weeks is next week and I can get my note from my doctor this week. Is it bad form to only give one week's notice for maternity leave our should I tell them my last day is at 38 weeks, which is in two weeks? I just didn't know what is right in this situation.
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I feel like it all depends on your situation and your employer. When I was pregnant, I was able to go out at 38 weeks.  My plan was actually to stay up until shortly before I delivered, but it was such a hot and humid Summer and I couldn't take it anymore. I ended up telling my employer that I was taking advantage of the extra couple of weeks about a week before I went out and they had no problems with that. 

You may have to gauge for yourself whether or not it'll be okay. Also consider how YOU feel. If you are ready to go out on leave, then do so and not wait the extra week.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I think this is completely situational. I worked the day my son was born. However, if your doctor doesn't want you to do that, then you probably should follow your doctor's instruction. Do you think your employer will be mad that you're going out early? Surely they know you're pregnant and are anticipating your absence. I would think one extra week wouldn't rock the boat too badly.

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM
I'm worried that they might be mad if I leave early. But the thing is, I hate my job and I cannot wait to be done so my doctor said he can get me out at 37 weeks. I don't intend to come back after I leave but I don't plan to tell them until I'm out on leave.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

I think this is completely situational. I worked the day my son was born. However, if your doctor doesn't want you to do that, then you probably should follow your doctor's instruction. Do you think your employer will be mad that you're going out early? Surely they know you're pregnant and are anticipating your absence. I would think one extra week wouldn't rock the boat too badly.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

If you are planning to quit anyway, what are you worried about? Especially if you have a doctor's note, there's not much they can do. Sure, they may be a little upset at the short notice, but it's really no different than if you were to go into labor today. Know what I mean? You're pregnant. You're at the end of your pregnancy. They are expecting you to go out any day now. I wouldn't worry about it so much.

Quoting levansbx: I'm worried that they might be mad if I leave early. But the thing is, I hate my job and I cannot wait to be done so my doctor said he can get me out at 37 weeks. I don't intend to come back after I leave but I don't plan to tell them until I'm out on leave.
Quoting adamsmom0116:

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM
My husband is concerned I'd risk burning bridges, so I want to make sure planning correctly you know?

Quoting adamsmom0116:

If you are planning to quit anyway, what are you worried about? Especially if you have a doctor's note, there's not much they can do. Sure, they may be a little upset at the short notice, but it's really no different than if you were to go into labor today. Know what I mean? You're pregnant. You're at the end of your pregnancy. They are expecting you to go out any day now. I wouldn't worry about it so much.

Quoting levansbx: I'm worried that they might be mad if I leave early. But the thing is, I hate my job and I cannot wait to be done so my doctor said he can get me out at 37 weeks. I don't intend to come back after I leave but I don't plan to tell them until I'm out on leave.
Quoting adamsmom0116:

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I understand. I do. I just don't think I'd worry about it quite so much. If the doctor wants you out, there's really not much you can do about it.

Quoting levansbx: My husband is concerned I'd risk burning bridges, so I want to make sure planning correctly you know?
Quoting adamsmom0116:

Quoting adamsmom0116:

aimesnyc
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM

You will burn more bridges if you tell them you aren't coming back during your maternity leave than if you would just tell them now.  If I were you, I would be an adult about it and simply give your two weeks notice now.  No doctor's note necessary.

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM
I'm sure I'm over thinking it. :)

Quoting adamsmom0116:

I understand. I do. I just don't think I'd worry about it quite so much. If the doctor wants you out, there's really not much you can do about it.

Quoting levansbx: My husband is concerned I'd risk burning bridges, so I want to make sure planning correctly you know?
Quoting adamsmom0116:

Quoting adamsmom0116:

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM
I know it's hard to understand, but this is a complicated situation. I wish it were that simple!

Quoting aimesnyc:

You will burn more bridges if you tell them you aren't coming back during your maternity leave than if you would just tell them now.  If I were you, I would be an adult about it and simply give your two weeks notice now.  No doctor's note necessary.

aimesnyc
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I don't know the situation, but I am pretty sure that an employer would like to know now that you will not be returning instead of sometime in the middle of your maternity leave.  They need to start preparing to hire someone new.

Quoting levansbx: I know it's hard to understand, but this is a complicated situation. I wish it were that simple!
Quoting aimesnyc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)