Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Thank You Letters

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM
  • 6 Replies

Do people still do them?

I have always done them, but the last two interviews I had I did not because the last time I sent one, via email of course, the employer just dropped off the face of the earth and everything seemed so certain and confirmed?

I am not one to read things in to things that go on during an interview and I never assume I will be offerd a position. I wait until I get an offer to feel like I have the job, but these people really had me convinced that I was going to start the next Monday, and this was a Thursday, and everything was great up until that blasted post interview thank you letter? 

It was a very professional and standard business thank you letter. Noting unusual or unprofessional about it. Very basic.  IDK if it annoyed the manager some how but I have decided to forego them now thinking maybe people just don't do them anymore and it is seen as desperate or pushy now, in this curent job market, or something. 

I wanted to send one the other day after I had an interview that morning,  but I thought the better of it and pushed it off. 

Any of you working moms out there do them after an interview? The last job I had I did one and she appreciated it. She told me so when she called me back to offer me the position.

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I always send thank you notes.  For the job that I just got 6 months ago, I had 1 phone, 4 Skype and 6 in person interviews (yes it WAS insane!) and I sent a thank you note (email because it's a primarily virtual company) to every single person with whom I interviewed - and each note was personalized and different based on the actual conversations we had.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2014 at 10:38 AM
I will still usually send them especially if I really want the job.
Nighttiger
by Ashley on May. 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Yes, I send follow up thank you emails for any job I really want. I make sure to mention specifics of details of the company they shared and how I can enhance those as well as mentioning every person I met. It's my last chance to make a written impression
MamaMacLaren
by New Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I send them. I think it's proper, polite, and professional no matter the job market. 

CafeMom Tickers
nomadbrat83
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM
I used to but don't anymore and it has never precluded me from getting a job.
mattsmate
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 9:14 AM
I send them and when I am hiring, I put more stock into a candidate who sends one if two are close.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)