Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Maternity and medical leave question

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 8:42 AM
  • 12 Replies

The company I work for is small and required to be FMLA compliant. We do, however, try to be nice people when it comes to holding jobs for our employees who are out on maternity leave or medical leave due to surgery or whatever.

Yesterday it came up in a management conversation that perhaps we should have a written policy on how to handle these situations. How long can you be out without losing health insurance coverage? How long can you be out total in a 12-month period? Do you get paid any or all of your salary while you're out?

My question to you all is: If you don't mind sharing, how does your company handle these situations? Thanks in advance.

by on May. 2, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM
I work at a city police department and we earn what's called comp time (like vacation but they don't pay it out when you leave like they would vacation) but can only accrue 39 hours, sick time and vacation time. We can then use those combined times as our paid maternity leave. When/if all that time is used up but medical issues have caused us to remain on leave, we can then ask for donations from other employees for more time. In the long run we can file for FMLA and I believe it covers for a whole 2 months.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I work for large compainies that have to be FMLA compliant.

The privately owned hospital and clinic system that I worked for paid me my remaining vacation (PTO accrual) and illness bank hours, then I took the rest of my 12 weeks without pay. My immediate supervisor also held my position for me an additional 2 weeks (so a total of 14 weeks) until I decided what I wanted to do post-baby. This was a unique situation, though and they do not do this for all employees.

The university would not pay for any maternity leave, technically not even vacation, as I have not climbed up the chain to full professor, I think. GOD BLESS MY SUPERIORS in the school of nursing, because they lightened my work load for a month, and let me grade and teach all my classes at home. So I got paid the full amount.

Previous hospital employers, allowed 12 weeks per FMLA and I would only get paid my remaining vacation and sick leave.

I don't know any employers in healthcare that have maternity leave pay, beyond your regular vacation and such.

mjimaging
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:40 PM
We get 12 weeks from FMLA unpaid. We use our sick and vacation time in its entirety and then whatever is left is unpaid. I have about two months saved I think. I could be wrong though. That seems like a lot, I might have a bit less saved. I should check a pay stub to find out. But they hold our job for those 12 weeks.
deccaf
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:43 PM

We are large and are required to hold the job.  We require all vacation/sick to be used, then non paid time off.  BUT, California offers paid Short Term Disability for maternity/paternity leave.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 8:58 PM
where I work we have fmla and our state has its own maternity job protection law. so 12 weeks by federal law in a 12 month period job protected leave or 8 wks per birth job protected leave if the staff doesnt qualify for fmla. health insurance has to be paid for either through pto or direct by check. otherwise it ends. that rarely happens but it could. short term pays a percentage of reg wages for only a couple of weeks for normal births. eight weeks for other medical leaves. Long term is available too. our company is pretty generous overall about leaves.
ljmom24
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM
My company is large enough they have to adhere to fmla. They do give 2 weeks paid for maternity and paternity leave. After that you can use any vacation sick or personal time. For sick leave you get short term up to 12 weeks but you have to exhaust all your sick personal and vacation time before disability pay kicks in. I think it's 60%. With matrrnity leave you can choice not to get paid but after the 2 weeks full pay you can't get any disability pay,
mattsmate
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM

My company is small and mostly older folks. That said, one of my coworkers had a baby last year. Her husband also works there. They gave both of them 6 wks paid mat leave. I think this is unheard of in this country anymore. I should reiterate...full pay, not having to us California SDI and then she took vacation and sick for another 6 wks. 

Marz31
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM

My company has a bit more complicated of a plan. we're allowed 12 weeks FLMA, Washington State adds another 6 weeks for maternity, again, unpaid. my company pays 6 weeks for vag, 8 weeks for c-s/complicated vag BUT it's 100% for the first 4 weeks and 90% for the second 4 or 90/80% I can't remember, but it's not full pay is what I'm saying. then they go to vacation and wipe you out even if you don't want to use it. so long as you're still getting a paycheck, they take out all the normal stuff including medical and you also get paid holidays if you have that regularly. But then, if you have no vacation or stay out longer than you have, you might miss some paid holidays and have to send in a check for medical premiums. Meanwhile, we have sick time which can be used as such, for each occurance, including recurring things such as if you had to go in for 2 days a week for a while to treat something, the first day is vacation and then the rest is sick time. we can accrue up to half a year's worth of sick time, but you can't use it for FMLA leave, because THAT would be too logicial. even if they paid a % of pay for the entire time, I'd have been happy. But whatever. 

sakpoints
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 10:12 PM

we have FMLA and short term and long term disability.  I thought FMLA gave guidelines to what was allowed.  I have never used the FMLA so I never had to really look into the guidelines.  on our short term disabilty (which is what is used for maternity leave) we are paid 60% upto 12 weeks but if we give one vacation day a for each week we are out we get 80% and 100% if we give 2 vacation days.  My company is bigger though, over 6000 employees nation wide so we may be required to follow more stringent guidelines than a small company.

MumB
by New Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this
My short term disability paid me out for 8 weeks post c-section...so maybe it depends on what your doctors writes on your paperwork.

Quoting calsmom62: where I work we have fmla and our state has its own maternity job protection law. so 12 weeks by federal law in a 12 month period job protected leave or 8 wks per birth job protected leave if the staff doesnt qualify for fmla. health insurance has to be paid for either through pto or direct by check. otherwise it ends. that rarely happens but it could. short term pays a percentage of reg wages for only a couple of weeks for normal births. eight weeks for other medical leaves. Long term is available too. our company is pretty generous overall about leaves.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN