Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Do you ever wish that you could send your husband to a parent training class so that you could trust him more to help with parenting your kids?

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM
  • 21 Replies
There's lots of places that do Lamaze type classes for pre delivery but there isn't really anything (that I've heard of) that addresses the issues that come up on a daily basis. It can be frustrating to have to ask for help from your partner AND explain how to do it, too. It's often just "easier" to do it yourself, even though it leaves you feeling exhausted and unsupported.
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Yep, although my DH probably needs something more like a military bootcamp to make him comply!!

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM
No. I wish. I could send him to a cleaning school so he would learn how to do it!!
calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:27 PM
if you are talking about parenting infants and toddlers then it should be easy to leave developmental stage flyers or literature around the house. "your child at 18 mos" for example or similar. and start conversations about what are FUN ways to get them corraled and safe limits.
Murray4092
by New Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Oh yes, I think having parenting classes would benefit alot of misconception about parenting. I have had alot of counseling and psychology classes. I have an understanding about the damage that could be done if the wrong parenting techniques are placed appon a child. My counseling was not about parenting it was a personal self awareness therapy. However, I'm a very conscientious person and want to parent the healthiest way. Therefore, I requested  literature and developmental plans from the professionals. The  consensus is that the authoritarian parenting style (too severe) is just as hurtful and damaging as the neglectful style. Children have different personalities and different techniques of discipline is required for each. However, there are things that one must never practice as a parent and that's restricting a child from being a child,  being overbearing is not a form of love, it's a form of control. Your children are mini-me's, they will imitate what they learn, they will act in the manner you say their behaving. There's always exceptions to the rules, granted. Parenting is as much about teaching your children in a positive form as it is enforcing proper behavior.

M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 6, 2014 at 1:25 AM
He needs to know how to pick battles. We have 3 girls.....They can give attitude. I can stop it....He engages too much and it turns into an eye rolling contest.
ablox
by Aisha on May. 6, 2014 at 7:49 AM
My husband needs more than a class. He needs a freaking bootcamp, summer program something!
M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 6, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Residential preferred. Haha

Quoting ablox: My husband needs more than a class. He needs a freaking bootcamp, summer program something!
baileymarie723
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Not so much so that I can trust him, but I would do it so he could learn more patience and better discipline tactics. My daughter is his step daughter. We don't have any children together, and he doesn't have any of his own so until he met me he never had to discipline a child and he doesn't always seem to get the fact that my daughter is a kid and not a teenager or an adult when it comes to how he reacts to certain things she does. He has been in my daughter's life since she was 5, and she is 11 now and he always reacts to certain things she does like she is 3-5 years older than what she really is and it drives me CRAZY! His parents even get on him about some of the things he yells at her for. He isn't abusive in any way he just needs to learn when it is worth giving a punishment, or just a talking to, and sometimes when it is not worth anything because she is just a kid.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM
send me the application. Ive got a camper here lol

Quoting M4LG5: Residential preferred. Haha

Quoting ablox: My husband needs more than a class. He needs a freaking bootcamp, summer program something!
M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 7, 2014 at 2:43 AM
Kids have to go in order for them to learn and then we can go on vacation. Vegas? Lol

BTW....based your screen name, is your son named Cal? If so, I wanted so bad to name my son that if I had a boy (I didn't end up getting one...which is fine by me)...But my husband didn't like it. My favorite baseball player is Cal Ripken Jr.

Quoting calsmom62: send me the application. Ive got a camper here lol

Quoting M4LG5: Residential preferred. Haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)