Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

My daycare dilema

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 11:12 PM
  • 15 Replies

So I guess I came here to vent a little maybe get a little advice, even though this is a pretty specific situation.

Here is our situation as it stands. We have 3 kids.

DH works a (crappy) job as a CNC machinst making $10 an hour about 45hrs a week. He also works every night as a tattoo artist, hes only now making any noticable money and its not money we depend on hence the regular job.

I work at the daycare my children go to(its 3 different aged centers). I make $9.47 an hour about 38hrs a week.

Between my employee discount and state help, I pay nothing for daycare(asside from extras like feild trips etc).

Here is the dilema.

DH wants to start college in Aug. He is a vet and will be getting the GI bill. Along with all his schooling he gets "bah" at the rate for our area which comes to about $1400 a month, which is roughly his take home pay from his cnc job. So he is going to quit his job(they will lay him off and his job will be available during the summer)and do school full time, and tattoo when he can.

I asked my administrator what all I needed to turn in as I was sure the state would want to know about the job change.

She told me that If he was going to the State college(its actually a different state but we are very close) then they would not cover any of our daycare. They want him working not in school.

I about had a heart attack. I expected at least a co-pay but not them not covering it at all. between the 3 kids our bill comes to about $1800 a month. With my employee discount thats $900 a month.

I dont know if we can make it work paying out of pocket. I could get a night job but DH isnt home until 10 or 11pm. I could work on weekends but he works  noon to 10-11pm so againg we would have to be paying someone to watch them.

we already live pretty bare, internet only(I do need for different training for work, he will need for school) no tv, no netflix, no xbox live. We are on a family plan so our phones are cheap. No car payments 2 debts(one will be payed off this week, the other with in the year). I budget well on groceries and house stuff, Even though I work 9:45-6;30pm I cook every night.

Im just bummed, we are trying so hard to get back on the right path.

by on May. 7, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:22 PM

How old are your children? I am so sorry, your DH will most likely need to pick up new job or more hours around school schedule. It's a big bummer, but remember it is NOT forever! It does pay off eventually. 

Diatech12
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Our kids are 1 4 and 6.

Going threw and writing out our expenses baised off what money he will be bringing in just from the "bah" we should have $317(aprox) left over if everything goes perfect(which it never does) Im not sure how though as we dont ever have enough money now lol. He will really have to pick up extra work, which I hope does not effect his school work!

I know its not forever but its still cruddy. Im not one to expect handouts or feel we "deserve" the help but it is really appreciated kwim?

Quoting Marti123:

How old are your children? I am so sorry, your DH will most likely need to pick up new job or more hours around school schedule. It's a big bummer, but remember it is NOT forever! It does pay off eventually. 

ljmom24
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 6:08 AM
Check with your state. My state still covers vouchers for parents who go to school. You must need the child care so you can either work or go to school. The state wants you to better yourself so why wouldn't they cover while you are in school so you can get a better job? My sister did it. She used to get reduced child care but then she entered a cna program and since she wasn't working but in school they covered her child care 100%
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 7:47 AM

I'm confused.  If your kids are 14 and 6 then why are they in daycare?  (and I'm assuming one is a set of twins?).

In any case, if it were me I would have DH go to school part time at night - in place of his tatto job - and keep the full time day job.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I think the kids are 1, 4, and 6.

Quoting the3Rs:

I'm confused.  If your kids are 14 and 6 then why are they in daycare?  (and I'm assuming one is a set of twins?).

In any case, if it were me I would have DH go to school part time at night - in place of his tatto job - and keep the full time day job.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Sorry to say, but it sounds like your DH may need to either go to school AND work full time to help pay the bills, or save save save and go to school later.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Ooooh!!!!  I totally missed the space between the 1 and the 4, lol.  Thanks!  That makes a little more sense.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

I think the kids are 1, 4, and 6.

Quoting the3Rs:

booboobear12
by on May. 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM
14 year old is old enough to stay home alone.
I wouldn't leave the 6 yeard old tho.

I used to work for childcare and we covered daycare for those going to school and working.

In all of my cases when income drops so does the co pay. We covered people going to school in another state. Ex. We live in New Mexico we cover a girl to go to school 2 hrs away in Texas.
I would call your case worker and use this scenario

" My friends DH is going to be doing this and she will be doing this ( use you situation ) and see what you case worker says.
Feel free to pm I'm on the road today so be patient if I don't answer right away
ragdoll7777
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I second this, some states give you daycare assistance and you pay a reduced fee even if you're going to school. The 6 yr old is not going to school already? After school is a lot cheaper than having them in daycare full time. Maybe a family member could watch the other two? I hope it all works out for you.

Quoting ljmom24: Check with your state. My state still covers vouchers for parents who go to school. You must need the child care so you can either work or go to school. The state wants you to better yourself so why wouldn't they cover while you are in school so you can get a better job? My sister did it. She used to get reduced child care but then she entered a cna program and since she wasn't working but in school they covered her child care 100%

Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Oh trust me, I know exactly what you mean. Our childcare and support we give to young parents trying to work in this society sucks, to put bluntly.

I could rant and rave on & on about until your eyes tire. I just paid $2558.00 this month for my children to be taught and cared for, one in PUBLIC school, the other two in daycare. We are just middle class people & not rich at all. After that bill, we actually feel pretty damn poor! So I totally feel your pain. Society dumps money right and left at failing grade schools, public assistance programs for those who cannot find employment, BUT to actually help those of us that value work ethic, holding jobs that PAY into the tax system to help others, or put pressure on employers to assist working parents by providing childcare options, NO WAY. Instead it's a system that enables everything to stay status quo, IMO.

Good luck, I hope you guys can make it, and in 5-10 years you can laugh about how hard you worked and saved to squeak by!!

Quoting Diatech12:

Our kids are 1 4 and 6.

Going threw and writing out our expenses baised off what money he will be bringing in just from the "bah" we should have $317(aprox) left over if everything goes perfect(which it never does) Im not sure how though as we dont ever have enough money now lol. He will really have to pick up extra work, which I hope does not effect his school work!

I know its not forever but its still cruddy. Im not one to expect handouts or feel we "deserve" the help but it is really appreciated kwim?

Quoting Marti123:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)