Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Surviving "The Witching Hour"

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 5:08 PM
  • 7 Replies
Anyone have any suggestions for getting through that time period after school and work and before dinner?
by on May. 8, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:07 PM
routine. preparation , patience of Job.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My children are younger, but having a healthy snack ready the minute they arrive home,setting an expectations as far as homework and chores and getting dinner ready quickly. For myself, I just can never sit or stop, if I just push myself, I make it through.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 6:15 AM
2 moms liked this
I actually enjoy that time. Kids at the table doing homework, DH & I in the kitchen preparing dinner, no electronics, good conversation. :)

Now that it's warm they also go outside first & play with friends (except oldest who is at golf practice) which is nice too :)
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I think it depends on the ages of your kids. Sometimes DS8 will help me with chopping veggies, shredding cheese, things like that for dinner prep. OR, he will be doing homework or even getting things ready for the next day (laying out clothes, etc). DH and SD are also good about helping with dinner, although our kitchen isn't really big enough for the 4 of us to be in there working altogether. I'm a wild woman in the kitchen, and I need my space! lol

Marz31
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I torture mine by making her clean for a whole 15 minutes and when she whines about it, I threaten to a) make her take a birthday present to a party and tell the birthday boy that she can't stay because she didn't clean and b) give away a whole garbage bag of her toys to charity! Yeah, that's how lasat night went. but then dinner was ready and then she went to the neighbors for about 30 minutes then home for bathtime and relaxation. Normally tho, if she doesn't play with her toys, she watches a show on her kindle.

iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is still young, so we don't have to deal with homework, but just getting everyone fed a healthy meal is sometimes tough.  He's a pretty picky eater, so lots of times he skips lunch and is STARVING when I pick him up from daycare. I've started packing his snack in my lunch bag and giving it to him in the car to prevent him from making unhealthy choices when he gets home. It also makes for an easier night when something is already in the crock pot or has been prepared ahead of time.

M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Yup. As soon as we get through the doors, the girls know to get their homework out to do or for us to review.

Quoting calsmom62: routine. preparation , patience of Job.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN