Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Telling an employment agency to take me off their list FOREVERE!!!!

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 11:32 AM
  • 4 Replies

Is this a smart thing to do when you have had it with the agency because they are no good or is it career search suiside, since it apperars they use all kinds of job boards to recruit with out it being obvious to the job seeker. 

There is a placement/ temp agency I have been dealing with over the past year and they are just no good either at what they do or at working out in any way to my benefit. 

I don't want to deal with them any more, ever again, but I am on thier books and they contact me with jobs. I ignore the emails and wnatto tell them to take out of their system, to not contact me about any more job assignments or perm positions, and to basically F off, but low and behold, I respond to a job posting on craigslist.com and they contact me back about it!!!!!

There was no indication that they are the ones handling the interviewing or hiring process for the job, had I known that I would not have replied, so, my question is, if I tell them to never contact me again will it make my job search even harder since clearly that will knock out some of the positions suited to me on various sites, like careerbuilder.com, since they use them as well and indeed.com.

So annoying!!! I think on one hand, if they are representing these companies and these positions then I don't want it anyway, because if that's the only way these companies are hiring, it's not worth the crappy nonsense and aggravation of dealing with this employment agency (lies about payment and appointment status among many other things) to apply. Nothing has ever worked out for me with this agency. I have paid out way more money to work for them than I have ever made and they misinform and with hold information from the employee constantly. I just don't even want my name in their system anymore because I don't even want to be associated with their company. God knows what the clients think of them when all is said and done.

Any tips on avoiding employment agencies/ recruiters, or even getting them out of your life completely, while looking for real work directly with good companies (minus the annoying ass and meddlesome employment agency people that only want their money and F everyone else).

by on May. 9, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
HotMama330
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I've had bad experiences with employment agencies.  The only one I felt was half way decent was Office Team.  Other than that, crap jobs and crap promises.  I was foolish enough to give one of them a shot again a few years.  When I flat out caught the agent in a lie and she couldn't guarentee me part time hours (which is wha I needed because I was building a business and needed to be home part of the business day), I stood up, took my resume and left.

I feel like once you use an agency, you're type cast by employers like an actor would be type cast for taking certain types of roles. 

What kind of jobs are you looking for?  I might have some advice.

LetoLiebe
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I have an education and experience in admin and/or medical office, surgical coordination, clinical research coordination, medical assisting, among other things. I can do phlobotomy work, lab work, insurance billing and coding, just all kinds of medical things. 

To be honest, I just want a simple job though. I don't care what it is. Food work or cleaning or what ever. Even office work is fine, but I want something that I go to work and do and leave behind when I leave the job. Not something that I will have to take home with me to meet dead lines on or worry about all night long while with my family untill I have to worry about it more when in the office. 

The only jobs I get contacted back for or interviews for ar the medical office jobs, including lower management, assistant management jobs, like for various little businesses or things, senoir coordinator jobs, or high pressure sales department jobs. 

None of the lower pressure job people respond to me, and the placement agency will not offer me those industrial jobs or cleaning lady jobs even though I ask for them and I had my own cleaning service years ago. I have construction experience too, from years ago in between hospital and office jobs and I can do any of these types of jobs very well. No. they have assigned me to these sucky ass medical office jobs. One a temp and the other a perm position opportunity, and another a temp that offered me a job behind thier back and they sabotaged it and I should have screwed them over at that time in my own best interest, but didn't, like an idiot. 

They want the percentage of my office work wages I guess and not cleaning lady wages, but  they have lied to me about the amount of pay, and then acted confused when the employer says they knew how much I would be paid. They have lied about knowledge of my candidate status with a employer, their client, and I have had to explain to them my education, experience and areas of expertise several times while I saw my resume pulled up on their computer monitor behind them. They just didn't bother to look at it or pay attention to review whether I was qualified for the position before calling me in to discuss the job?? I could tell they didn't, the same guy two of those times, while we were talking and then he realized my resume was there, looked at it, and could see I was better then just being possibly suited for the position...sigh....

Huge waste of time and money too given what I payed for child care and ended up making. Never ever again.

Maybe I will give Office Team a shot though if they are decent. I deleted all of their stuff along with this company and the other recruiters that have been hounding me.

After I posted this I did end up telling the agency to remove me from their numbers, get me off their books. Put me on their not interested ever again list and to remove my resume form their site so it is not viewed by employers and associated with their company.

It was Express Personnel and I suggest no one go to them unless they like getting screwed over and and making no money.

They have really left a horrible impression of employment agencies on me. I know they are like sales people and have a bottom line and numbers game to play, but good lord...F those people. Just disgusting business practices.

Quoting HotMama330:

I've had bad experiences with employment agencies.  The only one I felt was half way decent was Office Team.  Other than that, crap jobs and crap promises.  I was foolish enough to give one of them a shot again a few years.  When I flat out caught the agent in a lie and she couldn't guarentee me part time hours (which is wha I needed because I was building a business and needed to be home part of the business day), I stood up, took my resume and left.

I feel like once you use an agency, you're type cast by employers like an actor would be type cast for taking certain types of roles. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Sorry you had to go through this. I know I work on the medical field and it's a high turn over field, desperate for people and often head hunters and agencies are used.
HotMama330
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2014 at 6:11 PM

I never heard of Express Personnel.  They must not be in my area.  Stay clear also of Kelly Services, Mancan and Schnelling (sp) if you have then in your area.  It's the same deal with them.

Here are some ideas.  You may have tried them but just in case you haven't.

Are you on LinkedIn?  If you are, try joining in local groups and posting about job searching.  Tell people what you're looking for and ask for referrals.  I've seen people do this and they normal get lots of responses.

Have you tried online job boards?  You can set up job alerts.

Finally, there is also job fairs and contacting companies you'd like to work with directly.

Quoting LetoLiebe:

I have an education and experience in admin and/or medical office, surgical coordination, clinical research coordination, medical assisting, among other things. I can do phlobotomy work, lab work, insurance billing and coding, just all kinds of medical things. 

To be honest, I just want a simple job though. I don't care what it is. Food work or cleaning or what ever. Even office work is fine, but I want something that I go to work and do and leave behind when I leave the job. Not something that I will have to take home with me to meet dead lines on or worry about all night long while with my family untill I have to worry about it more when in the office. 

The only jobs I get contacted back for or interviews for ar the medical office jobs, including lower management, assistant management jobs, like for various little businesses or things, senoir coordinator jobs, or high pressure sales department jobs. 

None of the lower pressure job people respond to me, and the placement agency will not offer me those industrial jobs or cleaning lady jobs even though I ask for them and I had my own cleaning service years ago. I have construction experience too, from years ago in between hospital and office jobs and I can do any of these types of jobs very well. No. they have assigned me to these sucky ass medical office jobs. One a temp and the other a perm position opportunity, and another a temp that offered me a job behind thier back and they sabotaged it and I should have screwed them over at that time in my own best interest, but didn't, like an idiot. 

They want the percentage of my office work wages I guess and not cleaning lady wages, but  they have lied to me about the amount of pay, and then acted confused when the employer says they knew how much I would be paid. They have lied about knowledge of my candidate status with a employer, their client, and I have had to explain to them my education, experience and areas of expertise several times while I saw my resume pulled up on their computer monitor behind them. They just didn't bother to look at it or pay attention to review whether I was qualified for the position before calling me in to discuss the job?? I could tell they didn't, the same guy two of those times, while we were talking and then he realized my resume was there, looked at it, and could see I was better then just being possibly suited for the position...sigh....

Huge waste of time and money too given what I payed for child care and ended up making. Never ever again.

Maybe I will give Office Team a shot though if they are decent. I deleted all of their stuff along with this company and the other recruiters that have been hounding me.

After I posted this I did end up telling the agency to remove me from their numbers, get me off their books. Put me on their not interested ever again list and to remove my resume form their site so it is not viewed by employers and associated with their company.

It was Express Personnel and I suggest no one go to them unless they like getting screwed over and and making no money.

They have really left a horrible impression of employment agencies on me. I know they are like sales people and have a bottom line and numbers game to play, but good lord...F those people. Just disgusting business practices.

Quoting HotMama330:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)