Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Moms that teach

Posted by on May. 10, 2014 at 5:24 PM
  • 6 Replies

Okay I'm an elementary teacher. So many may say I have it easy. I actually have a summer. Well my girls are 2 and 4. So they go to daycare everyday that I'm at work. I'm able to take them out for the summer and let them start back when the school year start. But this is the first time that we don't have any major trips to take up most of the summer. I'm going to be home with them all summer. I've already start looking up different things we can do. Does anyone else out there have any advice for me. I'm just not sure if I'm preparing myself enough. I know they are my own kids so I should be able to handle it. But the weekend is different because my husband has the weekends off. And during the holidays I spend a lot of time at my parents house with the girls. But I really want to do more stuff at home with my girls. Just need some advice Thanks and please be postive.

by on May. 10, 2014 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I know in our area, there are lots of daytime activities outside the house you can do...swim lessons, gymnastics art and music classes. If you don't opt for those, just think of lots of short activities like paiting, fun learning games, pretend play. Remember, you don't have to have every minute filled like you would in your classroom.  Make sure you give some time for down time too.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 8:36 PM

How fun!!!

At 2&4 I would still plan a daily schedule, and just think you are a pro at that based on your job!!. Post it up with pictures of the activities and time clocks. We would do zoo trips, farm trips, library trips, garden walks & swimming. Naps OR quiet time is still a must for us at those ages. Pinterest some age activities!! 

I teach college and have a 12 month contract, but am taking Fridays off, I cannot wait. i wish i could afford to do 4 weekdays for just a bit!

Selah413
by New Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I too am a teacher and have the summers off. My daughter is 13 months. I am planning on checking my local library for story readings and puppet shows for the summer. Where I live there is a waterfront nearby that I enjoy going to. I enjoy walking my daughter in the stroller and clearing my mind near the water. I will probably take my daughter to the park and to the aquarium this summer at the beach. Children museums such as the marble musuem is a great place to take children. My town has movie in the park in the evenings once a month . Even though  my daughter is too young for this event its a great time to spread out a blanket and pack toys, food and other things to keep the children occupied while you attempt to watch the movie. LOL Overall, I try to do things that are free or inexpensive to the pocket. I hope this helps.

momma2mkgirls
by New Member on May. 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. My library does have a program that they have storytime once a week that I plan on taking the girls. I'm going to start looking for other things that maybe available. We do plan on making a trip to the zoo it is about an hour and half away from where we live. We also plan on taking a trip to the beach when is about an hour drive from where I live. Both of those being family trips for the summer. I love to walk so I know my double stroller will get a workout too this summer. I like the idea of a schedule. I have started thinking about a schedule. Oh and I have a coworker who has a pool that we have been going to her house for about 2 summers now just to have some fun. I wish we lived in a little bit bigger city with more things for their age. 

ljmom24
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Our library has a summer program and the city has a park program. Plus we have free Fridays where each week different local family attractions (zoo, museums, aquarium) are free. We also have beach and local pool options but I will say my kids enjoy just time at home.

I'm not off during the summer but the week ds dh and I do take off my kids actually enjoy just playing at home. It's a novelty for them since they don't get it during the year.
M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 18, 2014 at 1:18 AM
My husband was a teacher and now a vice principal and they just go to the zoo and we also bought season pass tickets to the water slide.

If i were at home during the summer, I always wanted to create themes for each week. Go to a restaurant with that theme, places, do projects, etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)