Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Ack MIL!

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 11:28 PM
  • 8 Replies

Taking a deep breath and not freaking on my MIL. She watched the girls today after daycare because hubby and I went on a trip to visit a winery with some friends-we needed a day off :). Anywho, I picked the girls up and my five year old tells me she rode in a booster seat with a belt like mine to Granny and Pappy's and so did her three year old sister. My five year old weighs less than forty pounds, and three year old weighs under thirty. I left their seats at daycare for them to ride in, thinking she would figure it out and make the effort to use them. Apparently they were too hard to put into her car. It is a two door car, and yes the seats take a bit of maneuvering, but I have done it before, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist, she was just being lazy. My girls are small kids. If she had gotten into an accident with them in seat belt boosters, they could have been seriously injured, the three year old could have had internal injuries. This is the second time she pulled this stunt, I thought after last time we had convinced her that she needed to use the car seats we use, for the safety of the girls. I don't want her picking them up anymore. I know this is going to cause drama, his mother is just one of those people who thrives on drama. Ugh.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on May. 15, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2014 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Man, I am sorry. It stinks to lose that as a childcare option at least if they have to pick them up. My MIL is totally crazy and is not ever allowed to watch my children--I often think how different and easier life would be, if I did allow it. But it's just not safe. 

Glad everything was ok! 

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2014 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh brother! My aunt would do that with my DS. I know she would never do anything to hurt my DS, as I'm sure your MIL wouldn't intentionally hurt your girls, but GRR! I totally understand your frustration.

Marz31
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

UGH! So many reasons why I'm glad no relatives of a previous generation, especially, live nearby and offer to pick up Ruby from school. "but we didn't even HAVE seats when you were young". yeah, and half as many cars were on the road, cars were build better and speeds were lower! I'm glad they didn't have an accident. time to find a carseat safety class for MIL to take!

preacherskid
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 6:59 PM

At this point, I just won't be asking her to pick up the girls for any reason.  This is the second time we have had an issue with her putting one of the girls in a seat that is not the right size just because she doesn't feel like putting the right seat in, and we were very specific with her last time about the risks of using a seat that is not appropriate for their size.

Quoting Marz31:

UGH! So many reasons why I'm glad no relatives of a previous generation, especially, live nearby and offer to pick up Ruby from school. "but we didn't even HAVE seats when you were young". yeah, and half as many cars were on the road, cars were build better and speeds were lower! I'm glad they didn't have an accident. time to find a carseat safety class for MIL to take!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I can totally understand how you feel. When DS was under 18 months, MIL let him ride standing in her lap down a 4 lane highway with FIL driving. DH and I were both livid when we found out. Luckily DH laid down the law, so to speak with both of them and told them if DS ever came out of the car seat while the car was moving, it would be the last time they were ever alone with him again. Since my husband is a cop, he also reminded FIL about what could happen if he was pulled over with an unrestrained child in the car.  Now, they do at least use the car seat, but most of the time the straps aren't tight enough. I try not to let him ride with them alone if I can help it.

I know it's a generational thing, but cars were much heavier and there weren't as many cars on the road when we were kids.

Kristen1010
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd be upset too. At least you have an easy solution for it not to happen again by never allowing her to pick them up again. Stick to that.
suroundedbyboys
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't let MIL drive our kids anywhere. She has numbness in her arms and legs and though she always says driving is a reflex I just don't trust her. Though with our current relationship with her, I barely let her see my kids.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep, safety first.  She would not be able to pick my child up if safety were of so little concern.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)