Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Finding time to workout?

Posted by on May. 22, 2014 at 11:03 PM
  • 21 Replies

I am dedicated to working out and try to work out three to four days out of the week on my elliptical at home for 30 minutes. I am a teacher, so my work hours are from 7 am- 3pm. I wake up at 5:00 am in the mornings to workout so I can spend quality time with my 13 month old daughter in the afternoons. My husband works different work shifts so I sometimes find it hard to work out, since he watches my daughter in the mornings just in case she wakes up while I am working out. Even though, summer is almost here and I will me off, I was wondering how other working mothers find time to work out and stay fit.

by on May. 22, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by on May. 22, 2014 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I typically work out in the evenings from 7-8 pm at the gym. My son is 9 so he goes to the gym's kids zone where he plays the wii or dodgeball. My husband's work hours are crazy as well. He works 7 pm - 7 am for one week and then has a week off. I find it easier for me to go to the gym on his work week rather than his off week. A few suggestions that I have are:

1. Look at your schedule for the week and decide which days will be best to work out and stick with that schedule.

2. Remember that you need to take care of yourself in order to be the best you can be. 30 minutes is only 2% of your day and it won't kill you or your baby to be away from them so that you can do what you need to do. (That is if they are being watched by a trusted caregiver, lol)

3. While you work out it provides a good bonding time for your daughter and your husband. 

Good Luck!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2014 at 11:25 PM
2 moms liked this
I do not have time to work out. It is one thing I must sacrifice. I always take the stairs, always run or walk with my children in the evenings if temp and weather allows. I have 3 kids though, 4 counting DH, and frankly, just getting everyone dropped off at daycare feels like I have ran a damn marathon. If I get up any earlier or did more, I might just collapse from exhaustion like a rich celebrity, LOL!
Selah413
by New Member on May. 22, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Quoting JeremysMom:

I typically work out in the evenings from 7-8 pm at the gym. My son is 9 so he goes to the gym's kids zone where he plays the wii or dodgeball. My husband's work hours are crazy as well. He works 7 pm - 7 am for one week and then has a week off. I find it easier for me to go to the gym on his work week rather than his off week. A few suggestions that I have are:

1. Look at your schedule for the week and decide which days will be best to work out and stick with that schedule.

2. Remember that you need to take care of yourself in order to be the best you can be. 30 minutes is only 2% of your day and it won't kill you or your baby to be away from them so that you can do what you need to do. (That is if they are being watched by a trusted caregiver, lol)

3. While you work out it provides a good bonding time for your daughter and your husband. 

Good Luck!

Selah413
by New Member on May. 22, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Thanks so much for your advice!!!!

ljmom24
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 7:24 AM

I usually get up early or a few nights a week my mom and I go to the Y but with baseball season it cuts into my Y time so usually my 5 year old and I walk around the park while the oldest practice.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

HA! I always get a kick out of those celebrity comments where they think they have it so rough and are so busy! I wonder who they think they're fooling.

Quoting Marti123: I do not have time to work out. It is one thing I must sacrifice. I always take the stairs, always run or walk with my children in the evenings if temp and weather allows. I have 3 kids though, 4 counting DH, and frankly, just getting everyone dropped off at daycare feels like I have ran a damn marathon. If I get up any earlier or did more, I might just collapse from exhaustion like a rich celebrity, LOL!

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I work out over my lunch hour. I work 8-5, M-F. My job is flexible so I can go earlier or later, not always exactly at noon. I aim for 3 days a week. Then I try to do something active on the weekend - cleaning counts! :)

Marz31
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Our gym is right next door to my office, and I'm not keen on showering and getting ready at either the gym or my office (we have two locker rooms) so instead, I get up at 5:30a, get to work at 7a and when I go to the gym, it's at 4p or so so I can make sure I can get to pickup DD by 6:20p. This works great for me, but that leaves DH to get DD ready and then he gets to work around 9a and HE doesn't have any time to workout. so we might have to adjust the timing of things because he needs to fit it in somehow. I've given him some suggestions, but they all involve him getting up earlier and he's not too receptive to that :\

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on May. 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I was working out 3 days a week after I got off work (my mil has a treadmill that I use) I haven't worked out in a while though :( Having my niece and nephews 3 days a week makes it a little harder but I need to make more of an effort.

M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 23, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I don't.  I have an extremely hard time.  I'm trying to lose weight (almost 8 pounds lost) but it's taking me a LONG TIME because I don't have time to exercise and eating well is a challenge.  I work full-time but my girls are also in sports almost all year long (and I coach them for half the year) so our schedule is crazy.

I cannot seem to get up early like you (you go, girl!!).  I am looking forward to the summer to do my elliptical and hit the gym more this summer.  During the Fall, I've decided not to coach soccer this year so I will probably walk/jog during their practices. 

Other than that, I will try to do these workout apps that only takes a few minutes at a time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN